DJTT Blog Post on Bitrates
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default DJTT Blog Post on Bitrates

If you missed it here: http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/09/2...-and-bitrates/

It's a nice read until the part where they put down 16 BIT 44.1KHz WAV files.

Really? Now this is unacceptable?

I guess I should re-format my hard drives with hundreds of classic house vinyl rips, because they are all 16 BIT 44.1KHz garbage.

What a joke.

>

please cut and paste the parts you are talking about and we will discuss...

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    please cut and paste the parts you are talking about and we will discuss...
    "It’s important to set your DAW at the right audio quality, otherwise you might realize in the future that you’ve limited yourself by recording the best sample, synth, or vocal session of your life only in 16 bit! If at all possible set your system to 24bit and no lower than 44.1 kHZ. "

>

and where did they call what you did "garbage"? It was Zach's opinion on PRODUCTION values. Not encoding vinyl.

next part where they bagged on wav files please...

"only in 16 bit!" .... that part Keith. with exclamation point.

So If I give you my master mix in 44.1 KHz 16 BIT WAV, that's lousy production?

If that's true, then we have a lot of bad recordings out there.

>

Tech Guru

Isn't the comment just really about future proofing your lossless files? i don't think their trying to offend you loverocket.

Actually almost no professional production is mixed and mastered in 44.1 16bit. Most modern recordings are 96k or above and 24bit and then mixed and mastered then dithered down if necessary. I'd say 48k 24bit is the minimum you should use when producing tracks. If you're talking about ripping your cd collection 44.1 16 bit is fine as it's a bit for bit copy of the CD but if you're ripping vinyl, I'd go with 24 bit as you'll have a better dynamic range.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

44.1kHz is just fine, 44.1KHz versus 48kHz, very little difference with dynamic range and maybe it helps with the Nyquist range and some plug-ins but it's very, very marginal. And some might even talk about transcoding issues to 44.1kHz from 48kHz concerning CD formats.

96kHz is used in some studios and it might help especially with dynamic acoustic music, but for most electronic dance music it's pretty much overkill as the tracks are compressed and don't have small nuances such as let's say recording a female singer singing softly. But 24-bit is a must, the diff between 16 and 24 is quite dramatical.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

this image is very misleading:

Bit-Depth.jpg

When you read this:

Bits

There are several ways to describe the precision used for measuring the height of the sound wave.

One common unit in digital audio, and the unit used inside Media Center, is bits. This is where the name bitdepth comes from.

Bitdepth describes the number of 0's or 1's (computers are binary) used for each height measurement of the sound wave.

For example, an audio CD is 16bit. This means each measurement of the sound wave will have one of 65536 (2^16) values.

A good DAC is 24bit, meaning each measurement will have one of 16777216 (2^24) values.

>

what's misleading about it?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast