DVS / Timecode or Motorized Platter (Denon 3900, etc...) Solution?

Default DVS / Timecode or Motorized Platter (Denon 3900, etc...) Solution?

Been using the S4 since it came out, and I've been very happy with it. But I've been getting into scratching a lot more than I used to, and the S4's tiny little wheels just don't work for that as well as I'd like. I don't even care for the Pioneer wheels. But when I hung around a Guitar center for awhile, I tried an NS7 and despite not liking Serato much, I found scratching to be way easier, and way better sounding, when performed on a motorized platter. Since then I've messed around with some friends' timecode setups, experimented a bit on a Denon 3900 (with the 10inch motorized platter)...

But here's the thing. I want to stick with Traktor. I like the software, I like my S4 and the workflow it has. All I want to do is add the motorized/vinyl component to it. And honestly, I didn't feel much of a difference from DVS to motorized CDJ, I could work well with either.

What equipment and setup do you all think is easiest for this? I can't seem to find a clear answer if the Denon 3900 supports Traktor natively, or if I'd have to use a timecode CD & Traktor Scratch. I know there's a motorized Stanton controller around someplace too... not sure if anyone has any experience using that.

What do you think?

Tech Wizard

if you like the workflow of traktor and the s4...

Go for a DVS setup and add the Kontrol X1. That's how I roll. The X1 is probably my favorite DJ MIDI controller... it's super simple and works exactly how you want it to. Brings all the functionality of Traktor to a DVS setup in a pretty compact unit. It'll be a bit of an expense for you to switch up from the s4, but you should be able to sell the s4 for a decent chunk of change. You'll have to sink money into getting your turntables, a mixer, traktor scratch, and an NI audio interface (alternatively, you can get a Traktor Scratch Certified mixer and skip the interface... I use the Denon DN-X1600 and it's incredible, can't recommend it enough).

Numark does offer a V7 motorized controller that's basically like a single side of the NS7. I haven't looked into it, but there are probably some traktor mappings available, but maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dystopic View Post
    What equipment and setup do you all think is easiest for this? I can't seem to find a clear answer if the Denon 3900 supports Traktor natively, or if I'd have to use a timecode CD & Traktor Scratch.
    if you mean "supports Traktor natively" = plug ONLY usb cable -> SC3900 and use motorized platter then NO

but if you use Traktor Scratch (and have a Traktor cert. soundcard/mixer) then YES (control via timecode AND midi)
    you seem to have no idea of SC3900's Hybrid Midi mode, i suggest you check it out

Tech Guru

Hybrid MIDI is very cool..No need for timecode cd's as it spits out it's own timecode signal.

I didn't, really (have any idea about Hybrid Midi mode), but after some research, I think I understand it well enough now. When demoing the 3900 in-store, I was just using it as CDJ, not a controller. If I understand correctly, the 3900 sends timecode audio WITHOUT the use of a CD, with all other MIDI functions enabled, as if it were a controller. I'd plug in two 3900s with RCA cables into the two inputs for the S4, and I could use the 3900's properly, but ONLY with Traktor Scratch. Not Traktor Pro. I'd still need to buy the Traktor Scratch upgrade kit for the S4, and I'd still be without a mic input since both inputs would be used for the timecode signal.

My research on the V7 and NS7 controllers from Numark basically states that limited Traktor support exists via third-party TSIs. But none of them have the motorized platter working in Traktor. It was basically a Serato product... and I don't want to switch to Serato.

Stanton's SCS 1D doesn't use HID, so the its motorized platter response is atrocious.

Which leaves me with two options. Denon 3900s or Turntables with Timecodes. If that's the choice, perhaps timecodes are better, and less expensive (the 3900 is weighing in at $1000 atm).
    Last edited by Dystopic; 09-30-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Tech Guru

I'm thinking about selling my 3900's if you decide to go that route

Quote Originally Posted by Dystopic View Post
    I didn't, really (have any idea about Hybrid Midi mode), but after some research, I think I understand it well enough now. When demoing the 3900 in-store, I was just using it as CDJ, not a controller. If I understand correctly, the 3900 sends timecode audio WITHOUT the use of a CD, with all other MIDI functions enabled, as if it were a controller. I'd plug in two 3900s with RCA cables into the two inputs for the S4, and I could use the 3900's properly, but ONLY with Traktor Scratch. Not Traktor Pro. I'd still need to buy the Traktor Scratch upgrade kit for the S4, and I'd still be without a mic input since both inputs would be used for the timecode signal.
    Same problem if you go with timecode I guess... but you can also buy Traktor soundcard & Scratch licence pack if you want to keep the inputs of S4 free for mic's. Don't know the price diff. between the two..

Update: I decided to go with the Traktor Audio 6, since it has has the extra input I needed to drop in the microphone. I am keeping the S4 at the center of my rig, but just as a controller. I have a pair of Stanton turntables using the timecode vinyls on either side. So far, so good. Already, the scratching and interaction with the vinyl is a definite improvement -- but I still have the advantages of the S4 (and my F1) too. And both turntables were still less expensive than a single Denon 3900.