Opinions on controller, please!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Opinions on controller, please!!!

Hi everyone!! I wanted to know your opinion about a Numark controller, the iCD Mix 3. I just saw it a few days ago and I thought that if I get a 2-Channel Soundcard I'd had the possibility of mixing with the laptop, CDs and my iPod. Also I own a controller right now so I could do FX and all that stuff. What do you think about it? Thanks ;D

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by LoveBeat View Post
    Hi everyone!! I wanted to know your opinion about a Numark controller, the iCD Mix 3. I just saw it a few days ago and I thought that if I get a 2-Channel Soundcard I'd had the possibility of mixing with the laptop, CDs and my iPod. Also I own a controller right now so I could do FX and all that stuff. What do you think about it? Thanks ;D
    Honestly sounds like you just want more junk for no real reason

Get a decent controller like the Denon MC6000/s4/vci400 and you can still plug in an iPod, its as easy to Rip CD's to your laptop and have complete control of them via software.

Tech Mentor

Yeah, I know, but I can spend too much money, just up to 400-450€!!

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by LoveBeat View Post
    Yeah, I know, but I can spend too much money, just up to 400-450€!!
    Grab a Stanton DJC.4, standalone mixer, line inputs, decent build etc ...or something similar then, you'll only end up disappointed with that CD player.

What controller do you currently have btw?

Tech Mentor

Nice one!! It's amazing!!! Btw I have the Hercules Mp3 e2 xD I know I know, it's not too much, but it's something!!

Tech Mentor

I find that the two most important rules when looking for a controller are:

1 Don't buy the biggest shiniest controller with the most features just because you can. Saying "I'd reather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" doesn't mean you will restrain yourself from getting caught up, and drowning in bells and whistles.

2 Buying a controller that you think you want and then building your workflow around it will inhibit your ability to progress, and is a surefire way to cramp your own style.

Get to work, do the best you can, and take note of what you find difficult to accomplish. After you really get to know your style and your workflow, only then will you be able to look at a controller and know "yeah, I could really use that." you won't even need to ask the forums.

Also it is my opinion that you get a much better connection to your equipment by using a piece of gear with less features, and building it up with layers of midi commands and modifiers, especially if it's a mapping that you build yourself!

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Stanton DJC.4 got great traktor mapping potential when it comes to modifier multi layering. Imagine "master" shift that turns 4x4 button matrix in to 16 layer/mode selector per each deck. Great for jog FX mappings or instant effects and such, you can always map all those basic transport , mixer and grid functions in to 3 or 4 modes leaving other layers for full effects control. Every mode also have "sub" shift for additional commands if needed. I can apply this principal to any controller but this one seem pretty nice for jog FX support same as Studio 4A.

Tech Mentor

Thank you all for the help!! I also saw the Vestax VCI-100 MKII and I thought that the controlls are very good structurated on it, even if there are less controlls (because I don't play often with Cue Points), also the jog wheels seem pretty cool and it seems more "Traktor-focused" sooo which one would you grab, Stanton DJC 4 or Vestax VCI-100 MKII?

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Stanton comes with VDJ or Serato right? If you know your traktor mappings then grab Stanton and customize it for your traktor flow. If not, then VCI is your friend

Tech Mentor

Yes, I think I could do a traktor mapping for the Stanton, but the thing is that I don't have a full version of Traktor yet, for the last year I've been playing with VDJ!! So what do you say?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast