Thoughts about a new set up?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thoughts about a new set up?

I'm thinking about picking up a vci 400 ege, traktor a6, and a pair of stanton str8 150's soon (and probably adding a mf3d not too far down the road). I'm trying to get a versatile setup that also gives me a bit of consistency in my control layout. I figured with this set up I can take just my vci and a6 with me and always have a familiar mixer layout with integrated traktor control if the venue has TT's or cdj's already. It'd also give me the option to use just my vci by itself if need be. I want to learn how to scratch too and the vci has an upgradable fader(that doesn't void the warranty like swapping the s4's fader). My concerns/questions are really.

I picked the vci ege with an a6 over just an s4, because of build quality and the feel of the knobs and faders as I want to use this as a psuedo scratch mixer. Is it really worth it if I can afford to get the vci AND a6 over just buying the s4 if I'm going to be learning to scratch. I want something that I won't have to upgrade for a while.

I saw the announcement of the control z2, but I feel like it won't give me the versatility of a vci and an a6 and I don't know what the price is going to be. Would I be better off waiting for this announcement and/or would I be better off getting a mixer, a6, and x1?

Really I'm just looking for opinions about the set up and suggestions.

Thanks in advance
    Samsung Ativ Book 8 15.6” i7-3635QM | Z2 | F1 | X1 | A6 | 2 x Str8-150 | TMA-1 | TSP
    KRK Rockit Gen 2 6 | Focusrite Saffire 6 | Ableton Push | Alesis V49 | TMA-1 Studio | Ableton Live 9
    http://www.soundcloud.com/kid-quest

it's tough to answer that but i struggled with a similar situation between that, the s4, and the denon x1600. i ended up getting the vci ege and it has been pretty fun and has most of what i need. i'm not big on scratching but i do like the option of hooking up my turntables and spinning vinyl if the mood strikes (as i also have an audio 8).

the reason i went with the vci was the same as your line of thinking...i wanted something that i could practice on at home and also bring the bars/lounges i want to gig at and just hook it up to an open channel on their mixer. that way i have a consistent experience no matter where i am. for that reason i feel like i made the right decision as i will never be using the venues turntables or cdjs. also, most of the places i want to gig at have a variety of analog mixers (mostly pioneer) otherwise i may have went another way.

i'm not going to lie, i still think maybe i should have gotten the x1600 instead and just used my x1s as controllers. the problem would be that i would have to bring my audio 8 with me and deal with a bunch of cables and unplugging cdjs from the house mixer which i don't really want to do. every place i'm eyeing has some type of serato box, so i'm not sure if i could use that as my soundcard while still using traktor and their mixer. tough choices.

i think i still may pickup the x1600...or wait to see what the deal is with the z2 (or maybe z4 if that happens). if i start using primarily those pieces i may just sell my ege. i kind of long for using an external mixer, but i just hook up my old crappy numark when the mood strikes and go from there.

i'm sure this didn't really help you with your decision, but just keep on thinking about it. see if you can scope out places you want to gig and check out their gear. if every place i wanted to spin at had a djm 900, i probably would have went for one of those and my x1s, but for me the ege realistically made the most sense when i thought about it.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I know what you mean about all of the cables. I was weighing that out dealing with cables and having better build quality vs just buying an s4. If the vci 400 was scratch certified this would be a no brainer for me. Even if I get a mixer, a6, and x1 I'll still have to deal with lots of cables. Hmm I've just got to make some decisions I guess.
    Samsung Ativ Book 8 15.6” i7-3635QM | Z2 | F1 | X1 | A6 | 2 x Str8-150 | TMA-1 | TSP
    KRK Rockit Gen 2 6 | Focusrite Saffire 6 | Ableton Push | Alesis V49 | TMA-1 Studio | Ableton Live 9

no problem. if you're deciding between the s4 and the ege and the price difference isn't an issue i would go with the ege and a6 personally. i think the build quality is better and i like the functions and layout better than the s4. it's worked very well for me with traktor using ean's mapping but i just switched over to flashflooder's mapping which i prefer by a little bit.

you could also consider a mixer (especially traktor certified like the x1600 - which has a flex fader, or one of the djms), x1, and turntables combo and have another decision like i did. that would be a very versatile setup, but you may be at the mercy of the venues mixer when you play out if you didn't want to bring that along. i was thinking it would be easy to slip a heavy duty laptop stand under the house mixer or turntables/cds to put the ege on. that would be tougher with a traditional mixer in a booth with no room i think.

also, in case you didn't know, there is a firmware update for the vci400 that allows it to be a standalone mixer. i haven't tried it yet but that may be useful for you as well. djtt said it shouldn't interfere with their firmware as theirs is midi based.

the only other i other thing i can think of between those 2 would be resale value. i think the ege will hold it's value better due to the quality and "special edition" nature of it, however less people will want to buy it. the s4 would probably sell easier but for less money.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Mixer, soundcard and a couple of modular controllers such as the x1's . That way you have options when you play out as well.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    Mixer, soundcard and a couple of modular controllers such as the x1's . That way you have options when you play out as well.
    Agree...
    Macbook Pro 15" 2.2Ghz i7, Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5, Ableton, Vestax VCI-100SE, 2 x Midifighters, 2 x Technics SL 1200 mkII, Audio 10, Launchpad, Nocturn, TMA-1

The S4 and EGE VCI are badass controllers for sure. The problem has always been with all in one's though has always been SPACE. Its not always possible to squeeze one on a table, usually you would have to put it on a CDJ which is not ideal.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

I agree with a mixer and modular setup. I personally use and S4 and love it, but space does become an issue sometimes especially being in a flight case. I'd say wait on the Z2 and see how it goes, you never know it could be exactly what you need.
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Thanks for all of the replies guys! I think I'm going to go with the mixer and modular controllers like you all said. I'm thinking I'm going to get a denon dn-x600 and an x1 with my tt's for now. The denon can be used without an external soundcard in a dvs setup with traktor even though it isn't scratch certified. It will make my home setup a bit less messy and I can just save my a6 for when I start playing gigs again. I'm excited! I already have a custom Ikea desk patiently waiting to be decorated with dj gear.

just to let you know, you can scoop up a new x1600 for $800 if you have good timing (which is right now). you may even be able to get someplace like proaudiostar.com to go slightly lower than that if you bargain with them or one of the certified ebay sellers with a "make an offer" situation.

the x600 with guitar centers current deal will be $600 where they are doing the x1600 for $800 right now, until 10.01.12. i would go for the 4 channel, scratch certified version for the extra $200 if money isn't too tight.

now i wish i could get one and go more modular too...maybe i should sell my ege...or another one of my guitars...or my apc40 and some other various stuff...damn rgas!

also, i'm jealous that i don't have an ikea here. i really need one of the custom dj/production setups.
    thread of free music

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast