Track Importing Workflow

Default Track Importing Workflow

So lets talk about what I'm sure is everyone's favorite tedious task… Importing new songs.

I have recently been converting my entire music library into a new workflow. Its been a very long process and I'm almost done with the first step for my existing music collection. This is my new importing workflow

1. When I get a new batch of tracks the first thing I do is analyze all of them with Mixed in Key (Great software BTW)
    2. Then I import them into iTunes
    a. I have iTunes set to copy the files into the library so all songs are in a central place no matter where I import from
    b. I delete the originals when I am done importing from wherever
    3. I then verify that the title and artist are correct then change tag the genre column with my personal genre method (It’s a secret)
    4. Once all of this is done I pull them from the iTunes drop down and begin beat gridding, and cueing the tracks

It’s a long process but I am able to search for exactly what I want, my keys are (generally) correct, and my beat grids and que points are all pretty solid.

So now its over to you forum.

How do you handle importing your new tracks?

Do you have a workflow process or do you just wing it?

Tech Mentor

I have one folder where I keep my new additions, and I make sure to leave them there until I get them imported, gridded and cued. I can sometimes collect a few tunes over the course of several days before I get around to importing into Traktor, so I leave them in the holding cell until they are processed. I beatgrid, lock tempo, set load point, maybe a couple cue points, and then sort them into my music collection.

So what i used to do was have an entire separate collection for traktor, thus having two copies of every track. Obviously that wasn't going to cut it once the harddrive filled filled up like crazy.
    What i do:
    New tracks go straight into iTunes, properly tagged etc.
    Run the tunes through MiK (Now keyfinder) and mp3gain
    Drag n' drop into my processing folder in traktor
    Leave them there ungriddded for months cos jester is lazy
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    So what i used to do was have an entire separate collection for traktor, thus having two copies of every track. Obviously that wasn't going to cut it once the harddrive filled filled up like crazy.
    What i do:
    New tracks go straight into iTunes, properly tagged etc.
    Run the tunes through MiK (Now keyfinder) and mp3gain
    Drag n' drop into my processing folder in traktor
    Leave them there ungriddded for months cos jester is lazy
    I just read that entire post in the voice of "The Dude" lol