Universities for music? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Most 4-year Universities have a music program of some kind, whether or not it has classes focused on electronic music production is a crap shoot. But they will have things that will help you (music theory, recording, etc.).

Dedicated music production & recording schools are largely both a joke and necessary if you want a job in the field (think: working in a studio as a recording engineer). The problem is that there's more of a market for the school than the jobs it gets you. If you get a "degree" in recording, you'll likely end up buried under debt and fighting for unpaid internships that consist largely of getting coffee and making food runs, in the hopes that you make enough friends that they'll maybe give you a chance.

If you really want to be a recording engineer, that's the way things go. If you want to be a musician, I think the best thing to do would be to study something that you enjoy but that is fundamentally different from music as a career, while pursuing music on your own time and taking classes (if available) on performance, composition, theory, etc.. Learn an instrument or two. Join a chorus or glee club. Take some recording classes. They can't hurt. And if you blow up and have a chance at music, you can decide whether to pursue it or not.
    +100000000

I studied music production and engineering. Halfway through when I realized how futile the job market was, I sold out and took a corporate job that was offered to me, because my mama didn't raise no fool.

Luckily my parents paid for it so I wasn't in debt when I got out too.
    Last edited by tokenasianguy; 10-01-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12