Help required with M-Audio Audiophile Firewire Drivers for Mac OSx 10.8.1

Default Help required with M-Audio Audiophile Firewire Drivers for Mac OSx 10.8.1

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me out.

Finally decided to take the plunge and switched from Windows laptop to a MacBook Pro running OS x 10.8.1. Beginning to slightly regret the decision as I am now unable to find the necessary drivers for my soundcard.

I have an M-Audio Firewire Audiophile soundcard but I cannot seem to locate the drivers anywhere which renders my soundcard completely useless.

Can anyone offer some advice on how to get my soundcard working with MAC OSx 10.8.1. I'm a complete novice when it comes to Macs so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I haven't done the research, but OS X 10.8 changed some things about how audio works. I'm not sure about M-Audio anymore, but they used to be owned by Avid, and Avid's audio stuff is not qualified for 10.8. A quick search shows similar problems for M-Audio products.

My suggestion would be to spend the $30 on a copy of Lion (10.7), install it, and go from there. But make sure drivers are available for it first. I suspect they are. I'm on 10.7.4, and my old FW410 works just fine (along with Pro Tools 10.2, Maschine, and everything else I run).

The downside of M-Audio/Avid stuff is that they're really slow to release updates when new OS versions come out. You kinda have to get used to being a few sub-versions behind to keep it running stably a lot of the time.

Hi Mostapha,

Thanks for the advice. I think going back to 10.7 is the way to go. And yes, it is becoming more and more apparent that M-Audio are hopeless.

I reckon my next studio upgrade will be a new soundcard and user support will be very high on the priority list when researching it.

Thanks again for your help

I certainly don't think Avid/M-Audio are hopeless. I love Pro Tools and don't plan on using anything else any time soon. And I could see owning an Avid interface eventually. But, it comes with that necessary evil of waiting to upgrade.

It's mostly because so many professionals rely on their stuff that they can't afford to release something that's half-done. They tried it with Pro Tools 9, and a lot of people jumped ship. Most of the pro studios I've been to are using systems from 2007. They're just not focused on hobbyists who do system upgrades willy-nilly.

So, you have to pick your poison……and if it's just a sound card, going with someone else is a very valid decision. I have a "nicer" M-Audio interface than the Focusrite I actually use, but I don't need it and drivers were a nightmare when I first got it……so it mostly just sits around and occasionally gets used when I need some specific features.

Hi Mostapha,

I guess I was just getting frustrated. New laptop and desperate to get stuck in but couldn't move forward. Got some help from one of the moderators on the M-Audio forums which help change my opinion on things. Was advised to install 10.7 drivers on my current OS which seems to be working so far. Very happy now and take it all back. M-Audio are actually quite helpful!!

Thanks again

I totally didn't think about that.

USB cards have some issues like that…fortunately the USB 3 ports on the new apples can run as USB2 ports with old drivers. I'm assuming that's what they did?

I try not to use USB for audio, though I sometimes have to. And I didn't think about that because I'm so pissed off about the new apple line that I kind of purged it from my memory until I have to deal with it.

go to the bottom of this page and download. I downloaded the only one available for snow leperd although I am only using leperd and it works ok, a simple search in google for: m audio firewire audiophile driver, does it.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...drivers&f=1194
    have fun Ojo

Quote Originally Posted by One Louder View Post
    Hello,

Hoping someone can help me out.

Finally decided to take the plunge and switched from Windows laptop to a MacBook Pro running OS x 10.8.1. Beginning to slightly regret the decision as I am now unable to find the necessary drivers for my soundcard.

I have an M-Audio Firewire Audiophile soundcard but I cannot seem to locate the drivers anywhere which renders my soundcard completely useless.

Can anyone offer some advice on how to get my soundcard working with MAC OSx 10.8.1. I'm a complete novice when it comes to Macs so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Tech Student

This one works on my freshly installed mavericks:

http://www.m-audio.jp/index.php?do=s...drivers&f=1194

(just scroll down until the yellow box)