Uhhh.... HELP ME PLEASE!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Uhhh.... HELP ME PLEASE!

Okay so I recently had my first gig, for 13-year-olds... (I'm 16, so the music wasn't too hard to find for this gig)and there was some of their parents there and now I might have gotten my self another gig... but the gig would be for one of the parents going away party. I have noooo idea what kind of music I should play for that kind of event for 40-year-olds EEEEK! I would assume something along the lines of certain parts wedding music playlists? Which I also have none of.... If any of you have some track lists from anything, previous gigs, someone elses gig, a website, anything that could point me in the right direction so I can start collecting music for this. Also should I join a dj pool to get the music? If you know of any good websites for that as well that would be great if you could share them!

Thanks for your time!

~ MIDI Powers

Usually a descriptive title works better.

Tech Mentor

Ask them what kind of music they like and go from there.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Saying fourty year olds are into wedding music is just silly, they were in their twenties in the nineties... think about it

I have a similar deal going on! Next month I play at a 40 yr old's birthday, but its gonna be loaded with models and hotties, so all good.

I have told them to bring their own music they want to hear. I will spin it.

80's NEON!

I would get as much music that would be popular with them and also ask them to bring their favourites. You are GOING to have requests...no doubt!

Just don't let them pinch your cheeks and tell you how cute you are....

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Mentor

Asking clients ahead of time what music they want to hear never hurts.
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

Quote Originally Posted by Pow3rs View Post
    I have noooo idea what kind of music I should play for that kind of event for 40-year-olds EEEEK!
    You should definitely turn this gig down
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Some old hits, but well known recent dance/house work well to, it depends on what kind of crowd you're DJing for. Try to "read the crowd" one of the most important things of the art of DJing.
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Culture_Shock View Post
    Asking clients ahead of time what music they want to hear never hurts.
    +1 for this. Call them up and tell them to hook you up with their iPod for a week.

Or start with this site:

http://www.musicoutfitters.com/topsongs/1990.htm

If you want to see a different year, change the number in the URL. It goes from 1950 through 2011. Pretty good resource.

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    You should definitely turn this gig down
    i'm afraid i'm with lethal here, if you have no idea what to play there's a big chance you could balls it up and damage youre reputation before you have one, i had to turn a regular gig down for the same reason, it was cheese and party, i was just honest and said it's not really what i play so i didnt want to ruin it for them

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast