Advice needed: Rane Sixty-Two or Xone DB2 with SL-2
    Tech Convert

Default Advice needed: Rane Sixty-Two or Xone DB2 with SL-2

I'm looking for a new hybrid mixer. I have been running Traktor using vinyl timecode (2 x 1210s) on a Xone 4D and I find the MIDI controller over complicated. I've tried many different mappings but I can't seem to find a way that satisfies me, however I did really like the mixer section on the 4D.

So now what? I've pretty much decided that I want to go back to Scratch Live. Mainly for its simplicity. I do mix on two decks 95% of the time, so there is almost no layering when I play techno. I also like to have hardware effects on the mixer instead of the ones within the software. The main MIDI I use is: (1) browsing / loading tracks, (2) loops, (3) effects. The music I play is eclectic, ranges from Italo to Funk to Techno to House. It's electronic music but not easy to mix since many tracks are pre-computer era (70s/80s) so sync is not important / possible unless I have flexible beatgrids (come on NI!).

I'm trying to decide between:

1. Rane Sixty-Two
    2. Allen & Heath Xone DB2 with a Rane SL2 added

What bothers me that in both examples I would make sub-optimal use of the mixer if I would use it in combination with the software it wasn't intended for. Might sound logical but still. I could add a NI audio box to the Rane but I would loose the 32 bit sound... Is there no way around this? Can't Rane or A&H make products that work with both software options? Ultimately I would like to have the option to run both Traktor and Live. But as stated above, at the moment I'm leaning to Scratch Live.

What do you guys think?

ps. Please don't make this into a Traktor vs Scratch Live discussion, I'm looking for objective advice on getting the right mixer! ;-)

Go for the DB2 and an SL2. The Sixty-Two is an incredibly built scratch mixer, but the faders aren't exactly exciting to mix on, and the inbuilt effects unit is rather limited. The Sixty-Two is more of an all-inclusive scratch nirvana, but for more mix centric DJing, while you most likely won't be disappointed by it, it's not quite as exciting to mix on as a DB series. Unless you're addicted to Rane faders and need a retarded-channel (something like 20 last I checked) dual-USB soundcard, snag the DB2.

Keep in mind the limitations of the DB2 input-wise. If you're going to be running timecode on Serato or Traktor it is a minor pain to work around the lack of inputs. You either use all four channels for the sound card outputs or you get RCA splitters like they use for video and switch inputs on the hardware (I found a couple $10 ones on amazon). Without timecode though traktor is a dream, you just plug in the USB and you're done. Same with Serato on the 62. If you're playing primarily Serato I'd go for the Rane, but if on board effects are important to you the DB2 is just insane. Then again, Serato should hopefully be updating effects on SSL with the iZotope effects they're putting on Serato DJ, so internal effects might not be so bad in a few months or so.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Wizard

I would recommend the Rane 62, it's a solid mixer. It does have a 6 sample/cue point buttons, and along the side with loops.
    I would get Allen & Heath Xone DB2 if you need 4 channels

Imo, you'll save some money if you buy a Xone42, and you get external effects, I have the Kaoss Pad KP2, and it's also to record samples, but if you don't want to get this, just get the Rane62, and if you want to get more things in the future, just get the DB2
    Last edited by rawwwr; 10-07-2012 at 09:52 AM.
    (2) Kontrol F1 - Kontrol S2 - (2) Technichs SL1210 mk2 - Maschine Mikro MK2 - Akai APC 20 - Midi Fighter Spectra - RMX 1000 - (2) Rokkit 6 - Gemini DJX05 - Kontrol Z2 - (2) Kontrol X1 MK2

Tech Convert

Thanks for your advice guys!

I bought the Rane 62. I also started to consider the Pioneer djm-t1 and the new native instruments mixer but all of that pointed a little too much towards Traktor while I really prefer Serato.

The fact that the Xone does contain a soundcard but it's nor Serato nor Traktor certified (so no timecode), made me decide to drop that option.

The Pioneer I dropped because I didn't like the overall quality and I didn't like the EQ frequencies.

But the Rane just really did it for me, what a sound, what a build quality, truly amazing. Only downside so far: the price!