DJing Beginner

Thread: DJing Beginner

Tech Student

Default DJing Beginner

Hi guys, this is the first time that I write something, I don't have any DJ equipment and I'm planning to buy a Pioneer DDJ-ergo, the unique program I've ever used is called Mix Meister but I know it dont really has something to be with DJing...thats why I'm planning to buy the ERGO. I'm 23 years old and I know its kinda late to start Djing...my question is do you guys think that the pioneer ERGO is a good investment and a good equipment to start me into the DJ world? greeting from mexico guys!

It's never too late!
    DJTT reviewed the ergo here

Considering the review you might want to look into other controllers. Especially those that come with a full version of software not a light version. Like the S2 from Native instruments or the Novation Twitch for example.

There are quite a few "what controller should I get" threads on these forums so search a bit, read, then research your options.

Welcome to DJTT !

Contrary to the above, the Ergo, and the smaller Wego, happen to support Serato Intro, which is pretty much everything you need out of "full" software, sans internal recording and a few effects. If you're interested in learning, the Ergo/Wego and Serato Intro will suit you perfectly fine for quite some time.

Mixmeister is good for making quick mixes for a party etc. I use ti all the time. I made a four hour top 40 mix, normalized and mixed in under 1 hour.

23 years old is young for DJing. If you like the ERGO and you can afford it , go for it. It's a nice controller.

Remember that "new" technology is coming out every few days. It's a good idea for a beginner to start with something inexpensive and see if they want to stick with DJing and move up to a bigger investment.

I personally like the Denon MC 2000 for beginners, but it's all up to you.

Cheers.

its never to late to PARTAY

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    Remember that "new" technology is coming out every few days. It's a good idea for a beginner to start with something inexpensive and see if they want to stick with DJing and move up to a bigger investment.
    Wise words... it's really hard for a beginner to choose equipment as you have more experienced people telling you to buy the best of the bottom line stuff when you don't know HOW to do it let alone if you want to do it.

I'm a beginner and I was torn between so many different choices, but I ended up going the absolute cheapest at the time (Vestax Typhoon on eBay) I could of sat there for so long just thinking about what to buy but I just wanted to get started.

It should come today and I'm fairly excited!

Tech Wizard

NEVER TOO LATE TO START DJING!
    djing is for anyone who loves music. If your just messing around as like a bedroom dj then i would get the ergo, but if you wanted to consider a more mobile, cheaper, basic pioneer quality product i'd get the wego! I'm considering getting the wego, i already have the s2 but the wego has 4 deck mixing, and is very well created in my opinion.

It doesn’t matter how old you are. I know DJ's in their late 40's that work 2-4 nights a week in clubs. All it takes is a love of music and wanting to play it for people to enjoy.

I started with an S2 and it’s a great one to start with for basic mixing and could still get by using it at a club/bar here and there. (I am thinking of adding a Kontrol F1) It all depends on how far you think you might want to take it. It you think you really want to peruse it as more than a hobby I would spend a little more to get something a little more advanced like an S4 do a DDJ-T1. But if you’re not sure if it’s right for you and don’t want to make a huge investment I think the ERGO would be a great controller to start with. It will get you through your basic 2 deck mixing. But if you want to get into 4 deck mixing or samples it would be better to look into something now vs. buying another controller down the road.

as everyone says it's never too late to start. there are a lot of options out there but before you buy any gear i would maybe recommend trying out the free trial of all the major software out there if you have the time and patience.

traktor
    ableton
    virtual dj
    serato
    some that i'm missing

see which one you like the best while using your mouse and keyboard, then think about what gear may compliment what you want to do. watch a ton of videos and read reviews. you're probably going to end up getting something and then wanting something else anyhow, so try and stay on the cheaper side in the beginning to see if you want to pursue it further.

there are so many options out there between all in one controllers, mixers, software, and modular units. have fun with the hunt and good luck!
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Quote Originally Posted by squidot View Post
    as everyone says it's never too late to start. there are a lot of options out there but before you buy any gear i would maybe recommend trying out the free trial of all the major software out there if you have the time and patience.

traktor
    ableton
    virtual dj
    serato
    some that i'm missing

see which one you like the best while using your mouse and keyboard, then think about what gear may compliment what you want to do. watch a ton of videos and read reviews. you're probably going to end up getting something and then wanting something else anyhow, so try and stay on the cheaper side in the beginning to see if you want to pursue it further.

there are so many options out there between all in one controllers, mixers, software, and modular units. have fun with the hunt and good luck!
    This is a good idea I didn't even think of. Hell that's how i got into it with just a keyboard and mouse! DUH!

You could always just go get a DDJ-SX! Its only $1200 lol J/K