How do you use your Kontrol F1's and Remix Decks?

Default How do you use your Kontrol F1's and Remix Decks?

From an F1 Workshop I hosted here @ Soundware recently, we had a few discussions and thoughts on how to use an F1. IF you are looking into how to use an F1 properly and in what ways would be best, you maybe would like to read my article...

Let me know your thoughts, all feedback welcome:

http://www.steven-james.com/2012/10/...s-f1-for-help/
    guitarguitar digital - www.guitarguitar.co.uk #notjustguitars
    ** SUPER S5 ** Midi Map for Traktor S5 users - Coming Soon!!! - CLICK HERE

Tech Wizard

I liked it a lot! Very cool and helpful. Saved and bookmarked for when I pick up an F1...

Trick

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Good stuff.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

nice article! ....I think those that say they don thave the time to create their own remix sets are just being lazy... I worked 5 5hours a week and volunteer but still have time to create remix sets

One of my VP's said "there will never be enough time to concentrate on the things you really want to do, you just have to make time for the things that matter in your life"

When I make remix sets, the loops are in the same bpm, generally all the same key. My first column is all bass that I assign the colour red, the next coloum is my snares/hi-hats/melodies which I colour blue then my next column is vocal loops which I assign yellow and my last one is one shots that I assign white. I take loops from any parts of songs I find interesting and I think its key to have a struture for your remix sets and apply it to all of them. So theres really no guessing games when you load one up and you want to do something on the fly.

I haven't got into making song specific remix sets yet but that would be great for on the fly mash-ups

Another way I was thinking of using the remix decks but havent tried yet is using them to store groups of songs that go well together. Yuo could do this by genre and you will always have a couple options for songs that go with what your playing next.

I produce as well so the remix decks are a dream cause they are like the best of both worlds!

I would love to hear how other people are using them!

Tech Mentor

Saving this article too! Looking forward to getting my hands on a Kontrol F1, this article looks like a much more in depth premier on actual use of the unit, instead of "how to use this unit" looks totally awesome!
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/