Traktor Z2 Mixer vs. Kontrol S4
    Tech Student

Default Traktor Z2 Mixer vs. Kontrol S4

Hello All,

I am fairly entrigued by the new Traktor Z2 controller/mixer.

I currently have a set up that includes: 1 Kontrol S4. 1 Kontrol X1. 2 Kontrol F1s.

Would there be any benefit for me adding this mixer into my set up, or would it be pointless because I already have the S4?

It seems like this mixer would be perfect for those that are using CDJs in Traktor, but I wanted to get your thoughts on adding this mixer or replacing my S4 with it.

thanks!

Sounds like what you have is a good way to go. If you are using DVS it might be a contender to switch as the Z2 gives you control of all four desk as well.

Do you have external DJ tools such as CDJs or Machine you need to hook in? Yes then Z2 makes sense even if you could do that into S4, as well. Z2 works standalone with no laptop support needed. Even if most Z2 users will use Traktor, anyway...
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

Tech Student

Besides my S4 I use a Kontrol X1 and two Kontrol F1s. I use maschine and S4 in the studio using Traktor and Abelton, but I do not use maschine or Abelton in a live setting.

From what I am learning about the Z2 mixer, is that it would be an optimal setup for those that use control vinyl or CDJs. For those that only use controllers, I am not so sure that the Z2 would be any better than the S4...

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

You are losing controls by "upgrading" to it and since you run everything internally you won't see much benefit from it apart from the new faders and hub.

Keep your S4, reconsider if you want an external mixer once they release a 4 channel version (not 2+2).

Tech Mentor

It would be a step backwards unless you completed it with a timecode system.
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

Tech Student

Hi there guys, i also have an S4 which i first intended to use 2 of the channels to play vinyl from my 1210s however they are now gathering dust as the pre gain is far too low even when at max when playing normal vinyls which is really crap in my opinion and obviously was not thought about.....hence i am now thinking is it possible to use the Z2 as a standalone mixer which will plug straight into channel on S4 so i can play vinyl from my 1210s?????

Any info or feedback on this would be much appreciated thanks!