DDJ - SX vs. Z2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DDJ - SX vs. Z2

Tech Wizard

Default DDJ - SX vs. Z2

Which one has peaked your interest more? What are the pro's and con's of moving to each and costs associated? Will you be picking one up?

Discuss.

This year I think the Pioneer XDJ-AERO and the Reloop Terminal 4 impressed me the most.

The no laptop concept of the AERO is a software killer and the Terminal 4 is a Kontrol S4 killer at $599 US.

The DDJ-SX is too big and Serato is still playing catch up to Traktor.

IMO the hardware mixer is obsolete. It has strong sentimental values (R.I.P. my Vestax PMC-25), but no need for one in 2012.

And if you love great analog mixers, then you might as well play vinyl, because a hybrid mixer is not an analog mixer.

>

I still reckon modular units with a good mixer is the way forward. Easy to lug soundcard and small control units around then just use the clubs mixer.
    It's not the gear. It's how you use it.
    limitations are the source of creativity.
    If you don't practice you don't want it.

http://soundcloud.com/zimfella

I love the way the thing looks! It looks like a serious piece of kit. I just wish it was native to Traktor. If i had the cash id be willing to take it for a spin and try serato though.

Quote Originally Posted by zimfella View Post
    I still reckon modular units with a good mixer is the way forward. Easy to lug soundcard and small control units around then just use the clubs mixer.
    You still need a pain in the ass laptop though.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    Laptops are a pain in the ass now? Way more convenient than a book of CDs or crate of vinyl.

Okay. So I emailed Serato asking about the DDJ-SX. Currently I use 1200's with Serato, but I'd love to have a controller setup to grab with me for smaller events, and just chilling with friends easily. I love the tables, but it is a pain in the neck. I've been looking into potentially just getting an ITCH controller... but this thing, really got me thinking.

Honestly, I'd love something similar to the S4 with control over timecode if I had turntables hooked up. I'm more than happy with Serato though, and don't really care to switch.

This is my email:

"Honestly, I really like the idea of Serato DJ.

Here's the kicker though that I've really been waiting for, and from what I'm reading, I'm not sure is going to be offered just yet.

I currently use Serato Scratch Live with two 1200's and a Rane TTM-56 mixer. I've been thinking about getting a controller for awhile now, but I really just honestly like using turntables. And I don't want to lose that functionality when I'm able to.

Does Serato DJ allow me to control vinyl DVS if plugged into the Pioneer DDJ-SX? Basically, can I plug my turntables into the Pioneer DDJ-SX, throw on timecode vinyl, and be able to control the software? Even if I had to keep my SL1 hooked up into the setup, would it allow for control of DVS within Serato DJ?

Thank you for your time. This is the ONE feature I'm waiting for (and don't know ever will exist) that is keeping me from getting a controller with Serato. Until then, sticking with traditional tables and CDJ's I suppose.

... I really like that DDJ-SX though.
    "

This is the reply I got:

"Good to hear from you.

Unfortunately Serato DJ won't allow you to control the hardware through your turntables just yet.

However the DDJ-SX will run with DJ Pro although it can also be used as a standalone mixer. This means that you can plug in two turntables and a Scratch Live box so you can use Scratch Live. You can even use the two platters on the controller along with two turntables for four deck control. This means that you have plenty of options.

The DJ Pro software is fantastic software

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask
    "

So this leaves me with a few questions. But. Interesting.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by 0.0 View Post
    Laptops are a pain in the ass now? Way more convenient than a book of CDs or crate of vinyl.
    This. I kinda like the looks of a Z2, but doubt i'll end up grabbing one unless the prices comes down.
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    You are right, there are times when I just don't want to lug anything more than just a couple of usb sticks with tunes and headphones.
    It's not the gear. It's how you use it.
    limitations are the source of creativity.
    If you don't practice you don't want it.

http://soundcloud.com/zimfella

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Otacon View Post
    This. I kinda like the looks of a Z2, but doubt i'll end up grabbing one unless the prices comes down.
    It's NI. Prices will come down right after I buy one.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast