DJ app for Google Nexus 7 tablet?
    Tech Convert

Default DJ app for Google Nexus 7 tablet?

Hey guys,

First time poster here, long time follower though. Crazy amount of great information on this site & this forum. I have a thought for you all out there, does anyone know if there is a quality DJ app in the works for android devices? I have Djay by algoriddim for my iphone and I absolutely LOVE it. So responsive, effects are great, great que latency ect so it was much to my disappointment that I found the android platform has no such app even in the zip code of any of the iOS DJ apps...at least that I know of.

Anyone know something I don't about DJ apps on this platform or is it just going to be a wait & see type of thing..

Tech Mentor

I've done my research a couple of weeks ago, and found none that are even close to being somewhat professional. The only DJ apps that I use on my N7 are TouchOSC and OSCPad, but those can only be used as MIDI/OSC controllers.
    TouchOSC is by far the nicest in terms of design, but OSCPad supports custom layouts, TouchOSC (for Android, at least) doesn't.
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by StephanV View Post
    I've done my research a couple of weeks ago, and found none that are even close to being somewhat professional. The only DJ apps that I use on my N7 are TouchOSC and OSCPad, but those can only be used as MIDI/OSC controllers.
    TouchOSC is by far the nicest in terms of design, but OSCPad supports custom layouts, TouchOSC (for Android, at least) doesn't.
    how is touchosc working for you on the N7? Is it better to use layouts created for IPad size or Phone size?

The Nexus 7 is a very nice device. The size is great for travelling. I read somewhere that audio latency on this should be reduced to somewhere around 10ms in android 4.1.1. So i hope that some app like dj player or djay get ported to android.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Miles-D View Post
    how is touchosc working for you on the N7? Is it better to use layouts created for IPad size or Phone size?
    It's working great. My only gripe is the lack of custom layouts. I don't think you can use the layouts from iPad or iPhone, there's no way to import them. Android has 5 different layouts: Simple, Mix 2, Mix 16, Keys and Beatmachine. They're well designed and well-spaced, no complaints about that.
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

Tech Wizard

there is a hack released to use custom layouts.
    you have to remove labels though as these are currently not working on android.

http://www.circuitbentobox.com/note/...c-for-android/

Tech Convert

Well I have a midi controller that I usually use with tractor so I'm not looking to use my N7 as a midi controller..

Like someone above me said.. hopefully they will port dJay or some other full DJ app that I could use just for practicing mixes on the go..

This is probably the best app for It

http://www.TachyonDev.com/

only bad is u need 2 units.
    my music : www.soundcloud.com/themaxive

Traktor 2.5 Audio 6 midifighter classic x1
    vestax PMC-CX
    midifighter pro SUPER KNOB's runnin beatmasher mapping + some other custom stuff

Tech Student

It's working great. My only gripe is the lack of custom layouts. I don't think you can use the layouts from iPad or iPhone, there's no way to import them. Android has 5 different layouts: Simple, Mix 2, Mix 16, Keys and Beatmachine. They're well designed and well-spaced, no complaints about that.
    Hi, considering getting one of these. How's its latency/which DAW do you use?

:-)

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Miles-D View Post
    there is a hack released to use custom layouts.
    you have to remove labels though as these are currently not working on android.

http://www.circuitbentobox.com/note/...c-for-android/
    Sweet, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dirk View Post
    Hi, considering getting one of these. How's its latency/which DAW do you use?

:-)
    TouchOSC is free on Android, so you can just try it out yourself. From my experience, latency is great, but I haven't done any really time critical stuff such as beatmatching with it.

Quote Originally Posted by other1 View Post
    This is probably the best app for It

http://www.TachyonDev.com/

only bad is u need 2 units.
    Promising! I like the interface, and it's the first app to deliver on what it promises. Still needs a little more features though (such as syncing with a second device), and the cue-ing isn't nearly as precise as it should be. Definitely keeping an eye on this one though, with a little more development this just might be the first professional Android DJ app. Yay!