Can't scratch on Traktor 2.5?? Really??
    Tech Guru

Default Can't scratch on Traktor 2.5?? Really??

When 2.5 came out I noticed that when I tried to scratch, it was all messed up. I thought it might be the fact that at that time I was using a pair of Denon 3900's under Hybrid/MIDI mode, and maybe it was just that Traktor was having an issue w/ the players own generated timecode signal it puts out. Didnt really care about the features from 2.5, so I went back to 2.13. Now I went back to 2.5 so that I could use my CDJ 2000's w/ advanced MIDI mode....same thing happened. It's just sloppy. So I tried a true timecode CD......same thing. Just for the hell of it, I dragged out my M5G's and tried timecode vinyl....same thing. WHat am I missing here???

Tech Guru

Figured it out. Had to select something I havent ever selected in any previous versions going back to Traktor 3, so it threw me off.

Tech Guru

I needed to change keylock from normal mode to scratch

Scratching with key lock on (regardless of which setting you use) is awful in Traktor IMO. I wish it worked more like Serato when key lock is on. With key lock off though, I think Traktor is the best out of the 3 DVS I've owned (Torq, Serato and Traktor) for scratching.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJSigma View Post
    Scratching with key lock on (regardless of which setting you use) is awful in Traktor IMO. I wish it worked more like Serato when key lock is on. With key lock off though, I think Traktor is the best out of the 3 DVS I've owned (Torq, Serato and Traktor) for scratching.
    True. If I am throwing in any extensive amount of scratching, I just turn it off. For the most part, I'm cutting and doing baby's to drop in new tracks, and it sounds just fine with it on for me.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    True. If I am throwing in any extensive amount of scratching, I just turn it off. For the most part, I'm cutting and doing baby's to drop in new tracks, and it sounds just fine with it on for me.
    For the longest time I never even thought of keylock having an impact on scratching but it makes sense. What does having scratch mode set for keylock do?

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    For the longest time I never even thought of keylock having an impact on scratching but it makes sense. What does having scratch mode set for keylock do?
    The "scratch mode" is basically a more CPU intensive processing of the audio. The problem is, it still makes your scratching sound "digital" and sometimes you don't feel like the movements you're doing with the time code are properly translating into audio. It also hammers resources at low latency settings. For basic scratches to bring a song into the mix, it's just about acceptable, but for anything more than that it's not very good. With the regular non-scratch mode, it's just unusable for scratching full stop.

I prefer Rane's approach, as key lock automatically turns off when you start manipulating the vinyl, then it kicks back in when you release the record and the track is just playing as normal. It sounds realistic, the audio reacts properly to your movements, and it doesn't gobble up your computer's resources.

I'm trying to learn to scratch, but my issue is timing after the scratch so I release the song on beat. Any advice???

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mstarling2 View Post
    I'm trying to learn to scratch, but my issue is timing after the scratch so I release the song on beat. Any advice???
    Thats just practice. No real advice to help or shortcuts, you'll be able to do it soon I'm sure