DIY modular MIDI controller
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default DIY modular MIDI controller

Hi all!

Ive been thinking about building a modular midi controller based on a central mixer for some time now...

As I'm not a resident DJ I work at different places and mixing different music and I want to create a more versatile midi controller.

My initial idea is creating a central mixer with the possibility to connect others midi controllers (deck and FX ) with a total of 5 controllers.

In my research found about the Teensy++ and it looks like a good alternative for the brain.

I'll keep you updated with the news and development. (I've little knowledge of programing, but I'm a fast learner and have close friend who can program for me also.)

Thanks!

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Have you looked in to CMD line of controllers?

Yup, but the quality of behringer controllers ain't that good and the design isn't much of my taste. Besides, the features and response of the controller (buttons mainly) probably wont be they way I want it.

Also, I think they connect each to a USB port (as the mixer has a built-in USB hub) and I'm thinking about multiplexing the signal and connecting them to the same USB port.

Anyways, I just want to build it my self, have control of the firmware and development.

I was thinking about adding a analog mixer
    Last edited by paul_monk3y; 10-07-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Alright, was asking by the way.. As for quality on those units I hope that we'll see some improvements since those units will come with three year warranty.

Wish you luck with your project and keep us in loop with development

Thanks! Sorry if I sounded angry or something, didn't mean it. I hope that also.

I'll keep posting the development and later the build of the controllers.

No worries. Have fun!

Verry intrested, same ideas here!
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

So, some updates.

Yesterday had some spare time and finished the design of the controllers and started the PCB design.

Module 1,

22 LEDs (one color)
    14 Buttons
    2 potentiometers
    1 endless encoder

Module 2,

22 LEDs (one color)
    22 Buttons
    4 potentiometers

Module 3,
    72 LEDs (mainly for VU meters)
    16 Buttons
    25 potentiometers
    5 endless encoders

My idea is using module 3 as the main piece, holding the teensy brain and let the others modules connect with a RJ-45 cable to the mixer. For this I'll be multiplexing the signal. Not sure about the maximum hardware capabilities of the teensy board yet, but I'll keep my research.

For now, I'm designing the PCB layout of the modules, so I can do as little wiring as posible.

For the casing, I'll be probably using metal and acrylic, to get that industrial look.

DJDoubleYou, have you done any research about the teensy and multiplexing? Would be possible to handle all this I/O with one teensy++ board?

Tech Mentor

Best brain option really is Midibox if you can code or Livid Brain 2.0 if you can't.
    Thats about 50+ inputs and well over hundred outputs and there ain't much brains being able to handle that.
    Quality components are expensive, your own build will be probably much more flimsy than the Behringer CMD line.
    For example you really can't get your hands on the components that the big companies can.
    Little Taiwan fingers can build stuff much better and 4-5 times cheaper.
    Looks like a too big bite to chew for first build to me.

Thats subjective, i think a teensy is better, you can think a u-hid is better. It depends on your personal taste.
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast