Speakers Question: EAW old school vs. JBL EON515xt with powered sub
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Speakers Question: EAW old school vs. JBL EON515xt with powered sub

Alright so first off, I'm a mobile DJ: weddings, small parties, gym dances and the like. So I'm debating between getting two EAW FR-253s (2 15inch-lows, 2 7inch-mids, horn on top) specs:http://pdfcast.org/pdf/eaw-fr-253-hr. These are powered by ab international 1100 amp, specs:http://www.abamps.com/pdfs/900a-1100...-9420a-man.pdf, that pdf is for the 1100a series which is newer than then 1100 and slightly powerful I believe. All of this equipment is about 20 years old, each speaker weighs about 100 lbs. and I have to use a big truck to trasport everything, need two people to setup up etc.
    Therefore, I am wondering whether or not to get this setup ^^ for around $1500, or instead get two JBL Eons and later upgrade them with the bass box.

Will the JBLs even come close to comparing in sound quality? loudness? is the portability worth it?

Thanks for any help~DJboudreaux

Tech Mentor

You would seriously consider showing up to a wedding with those EAW's?

Eons (or other similar speakers) no doubt.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    You would seriously consider showing up to a wedding with those EAW's?

Eons (or other similar speakers) no doubt.
    May be a dumb question but what would be reasons not too?

Tech Guru

I'd check out EV Live X series over the EON's any day. You can get two 112P's and a Sub for about 1500 bucks right now and add the other sub later on.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Convert

So is it looking like a no on the EAWs?

The portability might be a no. In every other aspect, I'd always go EAW over JBL.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

The portability might be a no. In every other aspect, I'd always go EAW over JBL.
    +1

Depends on how loud the band are as well ... if the band is louder than the DJ, the DJ is going to sound really weak.

IMHO no way in hell 2xEON's will cut any more than a small room with a low ceiling and thats WITH a sub.

Tech Convert

Hmm, alright, ya I've never actually tested out EONs before, some people say their super loud, but those people sound like the ones who are comparing to their ipod dock. . .xD

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Well to give you an example - I used to hire out EON's and EV SX300's ... around the same price to buy, but the SX's used a separate amp.

The SX300's could be pushed WAYYYYY louder with much better clarity, but were reserved to being hired to Bands or dj's we knew would fry them.

EON's were hired to wannabe DJ's who wouldn't know what a redline meant if it hit them in the face as they had a built in limiter and zero setup talk.

Its not all about the watts either - its about efficiency.

However - these days there are other similar portable options to EON's, which will give you the volume and affordability to add subs to the setup.

Tech Convert

Hahaha, alright, so I guess I'll rephrase my question. Is there a better option than those EAWs, for filling up a gym with sound for 1500 aprox. dollars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast