Trouble Getting First Gig
    Tech Convert

Default Trouble Getting First Gig

So I am having some issues getting my first gig. I currently am a freshman in college. I have a soundcloud with a couple mash-up and I'm working on getting my first mix out there.

What do you guys think is the best process for getting that first gig?

Thanks!

-Ksamps

Make your own. There will be a bar in town that will let you play for free on a week night.

You'll have to bring your own crowd, though. 20 people will do it.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Burn some promo CD's and share. If you're good they'll call.

Contrary, you can always blackmail the manager

make business cards ... burn cd's ... go to the events you like and promote, promote, promote ... hard work is never easy.

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

When I first started gigging I'd throw parties at my house all the time.

It lets those close to you know that you're ready to hit the streets...

If you have a friend or relative with a birthday or event to celebrate, let them know your services will make all the difference.

Hand out business cards and mix cd's at these dry-run gigs and maybe post an ad on Craigslist...

Good luck!
    Medicine Man 1620

have you any experience with house parties yet? get a whole bunch of them under your belt before taking the next step.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Target any club, go there regularly, and start chatting to the owner/manager he probably won't just offer you a gig, but he will have contacts, also its always good to keep a promo cd on you for these situations. Also try befriend other DJs that are getting gigs, they probably know what its like to be gig-less and would love to help.

Practice helps you get gigs as well, even though most people make the mistake of visualising DJs as lazy dudes who press play >cough Deadmau5< but once DJing becomes like a second language to you then it will be easier to get gigs.

keep it alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    have you any experience with house parties yet? get a whole bunch of them under your belt before taking the next step.
    Especially at college, and an imcoming freshmen this would be your best route. Get known from house parties, and since people will ask for such a diverse amount of music it'll teach you a LOT. Also frat parties are the perfect place to kick start your DJ'ing life. After that go on to bars and talk to them to DJ once a week night.

College is an amazing place to launch your career from. House parties, Clubs nights and bars. Give every place you walk into a promo CD, ask to speak to the manager etc. Don't stop until you get at least something.

Tech Mentor

just go to parties and become friends with the DJs and promoters. Or start your own event at a dive bar. Burning CDs and all that is fine but a promoter is going to hire his friend over some dude with a good cd