Kontrol Z2, 4 decks and Maschine, possible ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Kontrol Z2, 4 decks and Maschine, possible ?

Hello guys.
    I've been meaning to downsize my current rig which currently consists of:

Trak Audio 10 , Xone 92 mixer, 2x Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1 and Maschine.
    I have 3 track decks and one remix deck coming in on the Xone track channels and i intend to use the master out of the Traktor Audio 10 as a stereo master out from Maschine into a Return chan on the Xone 92, as i only recently got maschine.

But gigging locally i find the setup time and space required annoying. For power outlets i need to have the Macbook, Audio 10, Xone 92 and a USB hub connected. Then make all USB connections and RCA audio connections.

The built in USB Hub and soundcard in the Kontrol Z2 is super enticing.
    Am wondering how i could integrate Maschine into this setup---i only use 1 macbook pro so if Maschine could use one of the outputs on the z2 soundcard i'd have to sacrifice a track deck. Anyway of making Maschine and a Track Deck both come on the same channel ? maybe if i use Jack Router and assign the the same channel ? Maschines volume could be controlled from the hardware. This is my theory....easier would be to just sacrifice a deck.

Also, on the Z2, is there anyway to hear the preview player ?? I havent seen it mentioned and the manual is not up for download yet.

My other option is to build my own custom case so my main gear is always connected, power and audio so i just have to make the 2 USB connects on the Macbook Pro and connect the main power strip and macbook pro power......it would be bulky though

Please share your opinions and ideas.
    Thanks

nyne

Tech Wizard

The Z2 has an Aux/Mic input which you could run the Maschine into, but you'd still need to use an external soundcard. I personally wouldn't route a track and Maschine deck together but thats just me.

If you're running 2 X1s and an F1, I'd bet you can skimp off the Maschine and not be losing too much. I've noticed a recent trend of people having headaches trying to integrate a Maschine into a Traktor rig, only to somewhat realize the Maschine's a bit unnecessary. Although the exact specs of the Z2's sound card aren't know to my knowledge, if it has an auxiliary output channel (unlikely), you'd be able to route Maschine out through it.

Tech Guru

I have the exact same setup.

Would taking a whole mixer with you be just as annoying!

I would have 2 decks initially on the fader channels, 3rd deck on the right channel (without the faders) and swap between right fader deck and this deck.

Personally I'm not really using the remix decks to full effect and would use Maschine as you left deck (without the faders).

I'll wait for the 4 fader version and hopefully they incorporate both of the non fader decks either side to allow 2 banks of Maschine

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    If you're running 2 X1s and an F1, I'd bet you can skimp off the Maschine and not be losing too much. I've noticed a recent trend of people having headaches trying to integrate a Maschine into a Traktor rig, only to somewhat realize the Maschine's a bit unnecessary. Although the exact specs of the Z2's sound card aren't know to my knowledge, if it has an auxiliary output channel (unlikely), you'd be able to route Maschine out through it.
    Maschine is necessary it just depends on what genres you are playing. Maschine works the best with techno/tech house djs
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Quote Originally Posted by MYE View Post
    Maschine is necessary it just depends on what genres you are playing. Maschine works the best with techno/tech house djs
    Why would a Maschine be useful at all when playing techno or tech? It's not like you're going to be crossing/playing unmastered productions or patterns over a finished track.

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    Why would a Maschine be useful at all when playing techno or tech? It's not like you're going to be crossing/playing unmastered productions or patterns over a finished track.
    wow....
    You can use the maschine for one shots and while its running in sequencer mode you can remix add in all sorts of drum sounds it really helps with mixing

Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

You mean producers can. If you're just filling in with one-shots, the Remix Decks are already overkill. If you're doing anything with raw sequences or patterns over mastered tracks, things aren't going to sound too great. The already-mastered tech house track you snagged off of Beatport doesn't need a stock 909 pattern looping over it.

Pointing to Richie Hawtin doesnt do much, because he isn't really a "DJ," he's playing composite audio of original productions.

You don't know what your talking about man. using a maschine while djing is amazing only the people that have used one know

and i can sample a small snippet of the track playing in deck a/b/c and then re use it later in the set. i can also lay effects from maschine onto deck a/b/c (all my audio is routed through ableton and that is where i do my effects)

MYE how have you got traktor routed do you use jack or soundflower.
    MBP 17 " , Allen & Heath Xone 92 , 2 X NI D2 , Midi Fighter Twister , MF3D , Maschine Mk2 , KRK RP6 G2 , Push , Technics 1210 mk2 , Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio Young Guru

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast