X1 or K2?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X1 or K2?

Tech Guru

Default X1 or K2?

I have Allen & Heath Xone DX and I am planning on switching to Traktor since Itch is getting the boot and not getting any more support. At the same time, I figured I might be able to add some stuff to get more control in traktor. The problem is which would be better X1 or K2?

The problems I have with the Xone DX is, there is no dedicated filter, the cue buttons are not the best( small and only 4)
    and the tempo faders; it works, its just that I would prefer to have a sliding one instead of a rotary ( or a way o rate it faster).

X1 is 229 and comes with traktor pro
    K2 is 299 and doenst come with anysoftware but is midi mappable to ones liking

i don't think either is better or worse and the x1 is also mappable to ones liking. you need to just look at the layout, cost, and features (like traktor software or the fact the k2 has a built-in soundcard) and decide which one is better for you.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I have both and they are both good controllers. Like squidot says you need to look at both and decide which layout you like better or if you need an audio interface built in.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Biggest difference is in amount of controls and sound card which K2 have. If you are looking for more then go for K2.

Yep, I would that the choice is between the tight integration between traktor and the x1, or if you plan to have your own map I would go for the k2. If you plan to have a personal approach about what you want to control, the K2 offers much more potential.
    On the other hand having a quite well-thought layout with some nice led feedback thought for traktor, the x1 isn't a bad choice.

As you already own a DX you won't be disappointed by the k2's quality of the built. Both have buttons that would be better than those on the dx, but they're not there for button mashing heavy action either.

As for the fader, but that's something that needs to be confirmed by someone who has a k2, check that they can actually and realistically be usable as pitch faders. The ones on the previous 1D were way too loose to be used correctly for the pitch.

My 2 cents only.
    Last edited by Yul; 10-11-2012 at 03:05 PM.
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

K2 faders are a tad loose, but I think that could be overcome to a point by adjusting the sensitivity in the mapping.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I just don't understand how getting a free upgrade to Serato DJ, which is the next variation of ITCH, is reason to completely ditch what you've been using?

If you want to switch to Traktor, that's all good. But at least say you've just been drawn in by the shiny bells and whistles that Traktor and Native Instruments have to offer, and don't mask it with being unhappy about ITCH. Or if you are unhappy with ITCH, help explain why an X1 or K2 is going to help with your workflow.

You shouldn't buy a controller because you think it looks neat. You should buy a controller to help serve a purpose that you cannot currently do with your existing setup. I don't even see the point in ASKING which would serve you better. If you're going to own one, why not already have that in mind so that you know exactly which one is going to benefit your particular workflow better?

I don't mean to sound rude or abrasive... but I see this all the time. People asking which would be better, when really, it's all the the eyes of the beholder. You have to figure out what setup is going to work best for you if you're going down the controller path, and no one can tell you the best way to operate your workflow.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    I just don't understand how getting a free upgrade to Serato DJ, which is the next variation of ITCH, is reason to completely ditch what you've been using?

If you want to switch to Traktor, that's all good. But at least say you've just been drawn in by the shiny bells and whistles that Traktor and Native Instruments have to offer, and don't mask it with being unhappy about ITCH. Or if you are unhappy with ITCH, help explain why an X1 or K2 is going to help with your workflow.

You shouldn't buy a controller because you think it looks neat. You should buy a controller to help serve a purpose that you cannot currently do with your existing setup. I don't even see the point in ASKING which would serve you better. If you're going to own one, why not already have that in mind so that you know exactly which one is going to benefit your particular workflow better?

I don't mean to sound rude or abrasive... but I see this all the time. People asking which would be better, when really, it's all the the eyes of the beholder. You have to figure out what setup is going to work best for you if you're going down the controller path, and no one can tell you the best way to operate your workflow.
    With serato dj, you will be able to add a second controller
    XONE DX is only 2 years old and it got discontinued, Allen & Heath got mixers way older than that and they are not discontinued.
    The current traktor mappings that are offered for this controller have pretty much puched what can be done with it
    THE x1 is not new, It is also 2 years old. so Im not drawn to "new N shiny"
    I did say why I am trying to add stuff. I'm playing more genre with different bpm so a sliding pitch fader or a fader than ca jump to bigger bpm will help with learning how to transition from one to other.
    THe Xone Dx does not have a dedicated filter, nor a dedicated key knob. I would like better hot cue buttons and more than 4...
    I want to be more of a "controller"
    Hope all this answered your doubt.

Tech Guru

Im just reading what all the people that understand what I am trying to accomplish and I think you very much for you feedback.

I use 2 x1's and love them, but if the k2's came out at the same time and didn't have extraneous audio interfaces i'd seriously consider those, too
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast