Worth buying a VCI-100 in this day and age?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Worth buying a VCI-100 in this day and age?

Hi all, long-time reader of the amazing DJTT but this is my first foray into the forums. A search didn't seem to unearth the answer to my question, but I'm a newbie so apologies if somebody has already dealt with this in another thread.

I'm a beginner-intermediate Traktor user and for the last year or so have been using the cheaper (and infinitely more portable) approach of DJing with my keyboard. I've finally settled down for a bit and I'm looking at picking up a cheap controller to play with.

I'm in New Zealand where our access to quality second-hand music gear is somewhat limited compared to the US, and before I shell out on a new S2 (probs my ideal controller by the sounds of it) I thought I'd try out an old Vestax VCI-100 (the original, not the SE or Mk. II) that has popped up on a local auction site. As I've already got an Audio 2 the lack of soundcard isn't an issue, and from my browsing on the site the VCI-100 seems to get pretty decent reviews.

My question is - does the VCI-100 still cope well with Traktor Pro in 2012? I know there are mappings and firmware upgrades available on DJTT but they seem to be a year or more old now, as are most of the reviews online. I won't be dropping loads of cash on this but I don't want to get it and find out that it doesn't work for my needs.

FYI at the moment I'm interested in more traditional club DJing and podcasting, rather than controllerism per se, so I'm hoping that for the basics of mixing (EQ/filters/effects/cueing and the like) it should do the trick?

Cheers,
    Scott

http://takeoverradio.tumblr.com

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by takeoverradio View Post
    FYI at the moment I'm interested in more traditional club DJing and podcasting, rather than controllerism per se, so I'm hoping that for the basics of mixing (EQ/filters/effects/cueing and the like) it should do the trick?
    I have both. I got a VCI-100 Arcade edition for about 18 months before picking up the S2 earlier this year. These were my first midi controllers.

The S2's HID interface has noticeably better integration with Traktor...but this is in the last 10% of capability. I pretty much only gig with the S2 at this point. The S2 with the DJTT JogFX mapping is a nice setup for two deck DJing. The S2 requires a roomy 17" laptop bag, or something even better to haul around. The built in sound card is really good...I like the separate main, and cue/booth outputs.

The VCI-100 Arcade still a rock solid controller. The build quality "feels" better than the S2. The DJTT mappings for the VCI-100 are solid and very reliable, even with Traktor Pro 2. The VCI-100 will fit into any reasonable 15" laptop bag. I have not used a VCI-100 without the Arcade upgrade. But, if you are only doing minor cue point juggling, it is not enough of a difference to mod the controller...unless you are into that kind of thing.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Thanks soundinmotiondj, nice to get a comparison from somebody who owns both. I've always thought that the NI controllers would best integrate with their software but it's good to know that the VCI-100 can still keep up with the ever expanding controller market.

I'm curious, what do you consider the "last 10% of capability" specifically? Thanks again.

Tech Mentor

I gig with a vci-100 and don't see myself changing or upgrading until it's dead! 2/4 deck control, nice eq, faders, and jogs, dedicated effects knobs. Anything else is just icing on the cake, I think the vci-100 is just right.
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

Cheers Culture_Shock, I think I'm gonna take a punt on it and see how I go - as I'm really only starting out I do feel like splashing out on an S2 would be overkill, and the VCI-100 will give me far more control over mixing than my current setup (if you can call it that).

I've been browsing the mappings and they look pretty solid too, at the moment all I need is 2-deck control but it's handy that the VCI-100 can go to 4 if need be. Plus having dedicated filters instead of gain controls will suit me fine!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by takeoverradio View Post
    I'm curious, what do you consider the "last 10% of capability" specifically? Thanks again.
    From a high level, the S2 jog wheels "feel" better than the VCI-100 jog wheels. BUT, until I actually got the S2, I was not noticing that the jog wheels on the VCI-100 were lacking in any serious way.

The HID mode (as compared to the MIDI mode) offers better resolution on the jog wheels, and slightly better latency times with all the other buttons. The specific mapping of the S2 into Traktor is better and has more buttons & knobs than the VCI-100 - that allows better mappings to be built. I am using the DJTT JogFX mapping (with a few mods). I never even loaded the "default" mapping that came with the S2. The S2 sound card maps into Traktor out of the box and automatically...that is nicer than even the Audio 2 setup.

That is what I mean by the "last 10%". It will take a while for you to get to the point that these differences are going to get in your way.

At the same time, the arcade buttons "feel" better than the buttons on the S2...but the S2 cue point buttons are totally playable. If you ever get serious about finger drumming or cue juggling...there are better tools out there to add on (Maschine, Maschine Mikro, Midi Fighters, etc).
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Great, thanks for that - as much as I would love an S2 I think I'll try out the VCI-100 to get a taste of using Traktor with something other than my trackpad. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be the proud owner of a VCI-100!

Thanks again to both of you for all your help.

the vci-100 mkI is the technics 1200 of midi controllers. there i said it

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by the shmobletons View Post
    This kid knows what's up.
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

Quote Originally Posted by the shmobletons View Post
    is why i own and use both, and love 'em!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast