BCR 2000 or UC-33e
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default BCR 2000 or UC-33e

Hello,
    I'm actually a DJ on traktor and I do some production on ableton.
    Here is the fact : I'd like a controller which can allow me to do physical mixing on ableton and which can be use to DJ.
    I actually got a traktor F1 and a mixtrack pro. I'd like to try to DJ on Ableton, and here is how I see it :
    Playing effects(with the fader and knobs) and launching clips (with the pads) with the traktor F1, and mixing the track volume and the EQs with the controller.
    What do you think of that setup?
    So what do you think will be the best controller, the m-audio UC 33e or the Berhingher BCR2000?
    If finally I prefer DJing on Traktor, which of the two controllers would be the best to dj on Traktor?
    Thank for your answer

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I would choose the APC40 over those two for both Traktor and Ableton.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Student

The fact is that I already have a Traktor f1 and I can't afford to buy the apc 40

do you actually already own the UC33e and the BCR 2000? if you do, then it is entirely up to you to figure out how you want to arrange your Ableton Live sets. if you don't have said controllers, I would say buy the APC40 because: 1. it will do whatever you want it to do much better and more efficiently than the other 2 controllers could. 2. because good luck finding a UC33e. that thing is not common. 3. not only is it hard to find, it is expensive, and even though the BCR 2000 is not particularly costly, it is not cost-efficient in terms of this set up. again, the APC 40 would do its job better for a standard Ableton DJ.
    then again the beauty of DJing/performing with Ableton is that it is so incredible flexible, so anything could in principle do what you specifically want better, but as a whole, the APC40 dominates, and I believe is more or less indisputably the most comprehensive, well-integrated and intuitive Ableton controller.

UC-33 is a nice controller but you can't easily launch clips with it, you have the number pad area but it's nothing compared with F1/APC40 and similar controllers.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

I'm really biased, so I'm rooting for the BCR2000.

But that's just because I've used and loved it until I got my S4. BCR2000 is still one of the most versatile controllers around. The mapping and preset switching is just so easy, it's nearing the insane.
    True, the controller has a learning curve which you have to go through, but once you get to know this controller and how to map, you will be able to tackle anything MIDI can throw at this controller.

I have had some handson experience with the UC-33, it's a nice controller, but for me it did not feel right.
    You are able to map the mixer part, but you will have some difficulty mapping transport controls and deck selection.
    (It's easier to map fader functionality to rotary controls than vice versa)
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    I'm really biased, so I'm rooting for the BCR2000.
    I'm really rooting for him to get something else a haha.. I know the BCR is versitile and pretty easy to map/learn - but unless I really wanted extra knobs I wouldn't bother getting one again, certainly not instead of something like an APC which has such tight control over Ableton.

I would choose the APC40 over those two for both Traktor and Ableton.
    +1 ... Although I have an APC40 and really really wasn't happy with using it with Traktor - nothing really felt "right" to me, maybe its the "need" to have a proper dj style controller if i'm going to use a DJ style app - I'd prefer throwing $150 at a used Hercules RMX or Xponant than playing with the pure headwreck of using either an APC,BCR or UC33

IMHO there is VERY few controllers that are going to suit both Traktor and Ableton - they are just "too" different softwares - 2 x K2's or perhaps a combination on the LC-1 and MM-1 from Behringer when it gets released might be worth a look at.

I also used to have a BCR and UC33 btw - the BCR is great if you really need a knob box, the UC33 is great if you really want a fader box, soft-takeover though on the UC33 ugh.

Both units feel "toyish" - kinda like a Dell Inspiron and either way neither is particularly intuitive IMHO for either Traktor or Ableton.

Hold onto your cash for a few weeks.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Do you use the remix decks in traktor? If not sell the F1 and buy an APC40.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I have a BCR200 that I mainly use for Ableton. Initially, I wanted it because it had so many knobs that I could map all sorts of FX racks etc. to it. But lately, I have found that I am rarely using more than a handful of knobs. I am using Ableton more for production these days and my FX setup changes all the time...so I just wind up assigning mappings to the BCR on the fly. I don't really use the BCR for Traktor at all and honestly don't think it would be all that useful for me and what I like to do with Traktor. Frankly, I found my Launchpad to be super useful and versatile...works great in Ableton, it served me well as my first Traktor controller (transport, FX assignment, loops, hotcues, and instant-gratification mapping for 2 decks plus volume meter output). BCR is cheap and can be easily found...but unless you have really specific use in mind for all the encoders etc...you may likely find yourself not really using it fully.
    Traktor: Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, DN-MC3000, DN-X1700
    Ableton: Launchpad, nanoKontrol2, LPK-25, BCR2000

Tech Student

I don't see how I could DJ with an APC 40 on Traktor. How to play with EQs, how to play with effects?
    There are just to many pads and not enough knobs. There is no jog wheel. As a all in one controller, it dont have a soundcard to headphones preview.
    Am I right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast