Help With Studio
    Tech Student

Default Help With Studio

Right Im using ableton live 8 will be upgrading to suite , i have about 3000 to spend on my 1st studio setup .. Mainly into House music , just looking for advise on equiptment etc .. looking for midi controllers , few vsts etc .. Any comments back very much appreciated thanks !!

I would not get the suite myself... Get Komplete 8 instead or wait a little bit as NI might introduce Komplete 9 any day now.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

For 3000 USD, I would go for:

Maschine: $600
    Komplete 8 Ultimate (crossgrade from Maschine): $800

I am not sure when Komplete 9 or Live 9 will arrive, but for $1400, this is a lot of stuff. I love the mkII Maschine and NI's VSTs, and this is a lot of bang for your buck.

If you need a keyboard, I really recommend Novation's keyboards - they have a great integration with Live.

Komplete 8, something like the MPK49, decent monitors and acoustic treatment are all you really need. I wouldnt waste a lot of money on lots of synths at this point, what comes with Live basic and Komplete could keep you busy for years.

I'm with Tarekith on this one!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Student

Yeah defo getting the maschine and il look into komplete aswell , yes will be getting monitors , headphones & interface . To control ableton would you use a apc40 or livid instruments ohm64 ? im leaning to towards the ohm , also new axiom air 49 looks very nice.

I have an APC40 and like it. The new Maschine script and templates use APC/Launchpad-style clip launch, so you might try those out before picking up an APC.

If you use this (http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=48092) as part of your workflow, the APC is sweet because it enables you to launch patterns in Maschine without switching groups (or patterns, or instances) and it, in effect, adds line faders (and a crossfader on the APC40) all without requiring one to stop playing.

I like Livid, but have never seen anyone play out on the ohm64.

I played the Axiom Air at IMSTA, and it does seem like a great mini-key controller.

You should really experiment with some demos/watch videos and see what you need. And it really depends on your style, personally I can't stand most of the NI stuff in Komplete- but it's a great value and you get a lot for your money and I'm in the minority. If I were to use VST synths it would probably be the u-he stuff. Diva is pretty amazing.

I would much rather have a few VST synths and various other plugins I really like than drop all that money on komplete, and you can get secondhand licenses for any of the NI stuff for dirt cheap on KVR forums if you do want any of it and don't want to buy the whole thing. I think I paid $60 for an FM8 license, and if massive is something that interests you it comes with maschine now.

As for midi controllers it again depends on style- I don't like or think the apc40 is that useful in a studio as a production tool, but that's preference as many use it just for production.

Just get some decent monitors (not rokkits) and set up your room properly.

RavioliFaceMan

If you're producing house I'd think twice about big pad/sample controllers. They suit a LOT of people, but not house. You can get the same amount of bang from one of the midi pad controllers for what you'll use it for making house music.

Definitely yes to Komplete, though. And good monitors. I don't think you really need anything else. Maybe a decent USB mixer with a fair few channels and a couple of nice controllers, something like the Zero SL mkII maybe?

If you use the clip launcher in Live, consider the Launchpad too.

As for Monitors, look at Samson or Adam. You can get some smaller Adam monitors in your price range, and just fill them out with a nice sub. The A5X should do if you have a decent sub ($600+). I don't know about the newer Samson monitors but the Rubicons are incredible. Somewhat hard to get hold of, but worth it. I use the Behringer Truths. Don't knock them just because they're Behringer though - they can hold their own with good ribbon tweeters and kevlar cones. The bass is slightly coloured but just sort that out with a sub with a built-in crossover.

As for room treatment, it doesn't need to be anything fancy. Pad your monitors acoustic feet, put a bookcase or sofa in your studio, and put a few acoustic tiles in well-thought out places.

You should even have a bit left over to send over to me too