k2, z2

Thread: k2, z2

Default k2, z2

Hello,

I'm looking for a compact all in one controller to replace my s4. Allen and Heath k2 or the new traktor z2 are options. I'm concerned about the 16 bit soundcard on the allen and heath. Is the audio quality lower than that of a 24 bit soundcard like the one built in to the S4?

Also would you consider the Z2 to be portable and can it be used to control Traktor without using a f1 or x1?

Please help me pick the right controller. Although I love the S4 I've had issues with its size and reliability. I don't need jog wheels and need something portable.

Thanks

You have issues regarding the reliability bro?

And sizing, yeah it can be big, but nothing a good backpack or trolley shouldn't be able to handle.

K2 or Z2 are two completely different options if you ask me a Z2 is a mixer on its own and a K2 is a controller that can be hooked up to a mixer.
    You'd might want to think what you'd want to be able to control within Traktor and think which will be able to suit better. For all you know, it could be that you'd need a Z2 and a K2 together.
    And also, take time to touch and feel both of these pieces of gear. It could quite possibly be that you don't like the feel of 1 or both.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    You have issues regarding the reliability bro?

And sizing, yeah it can be big, but nothing a good backpack or trolley shouldn't be able to handle.

K2 or Z2 are two completely different options if you ask me a Z2 is a mixer on its own and a K2 is a controller that can be hooked up to a mixer.
    You'd might want to think what you'd want to be able to control within Traktor and think which will be able to suit better. For all you know, it could be that you'd need a Z2 and a K2 together.
    And also, take time to touch and feel both of these pieces of gear. It could quite possibly be that you don't like the feel of 1 or both.
    +1

They are very different pieces of kit with very different uses intended. What do you want to be able to do with respect to replacing your S4?

With respect to how they feel...I don't have a Z2 ;-) but I do have a K2 and used it as a "makeshift" MIDI mixer and soundcard. It has treated me fine, but it just wasn't well suited to that task. The faders (caps mainly) are not DJ-friendly as they are more "studio" style. the button matrix is useful...but i have big fingers...so for me, it is useless for anything like cue-point juggling etc. as the buttons are too close together.

I think that you *can* control [some of] Traktor with just the Z2...but I don't think that it is intended as an All-In-One controller. I think that they expect that you will use it with an X1 and an F1 or a pair of CDJs/Turntables. The remix deck capacity of the Z2 is limited to just 4 buttons (thus only 4 samples and nut the full 16 of a remix deck). Those same buttons can be assigned to hotcues on a trakc or I suppose MIDI-mappable for Play/Cue transport control...but like I said...I don't think that it's best use is as an All-In-One. I think NI have introduced this as part of an overall modular philosophy...they expect that their users will compose their systems with the parts that they need. One part is a 2+2 channel mixer with MIDI capability, sound-card, and DVS support i.e., the Z2). Another is remix deck control (i.e., the F1), yet another is basic transport, hotcues and FX (the X1). I wouldn't be surprised if NI have another workflow *enhancement/addition* to Traktor with yet another modular controller aimed squarely at that part of the workflow...don't know wht it might be...not sure if NI would ever venture into video...but I can imagine if they did...then that would certainly fall into what I am talking about.
    Traktor: Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, DN-MC3000, DN-X1700
    Ableton: Launchpad, nanoKontrol2, LPK-25, BCR2000

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to use just the Z2, but you'll have to do some mapping and it won;t be as good as a Z2 and an X1. You can definitely use the K2 as a standalone midi mixer and t works great for that, but not as good as a Z2/X1 combo imo.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyNerd View Post
    They are very different pieces of kit with very different uses intended. What do you want to be able to do with respect to replacing your S4?

I think that you *can* control [some of] Traktor with just the Z2...but I don't think that it is intended as an All-In-One controller. I think that they expect that you will use it with an X1 and an F1 or a pair of CDJs/Turntables. The remix deck capacity of the...........
    I think the same. I have also a S4 and it is not so portable like the F1, but to control a lot of functions it is the best setup. I used to have a 2 channel midi controller and when I switches to deck C & D the faders are standing in another place. So I needed to move the faders to activate them. My guess is that in the future the will bring a Z4, 4 channel mixer, Logic?
    The question is if we get the Traktor 2.6 update for free? 2.6 have new features that I like.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I am almost certain 2.6 will be free.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

True!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Thanks for all the answers. Yes I had reliability issues mainly because of environment conditions of dust and humidity. The issue was that I played outdoor gigs in the middle of the night in a heavy fog and the platters started misfiring and then the faders went up and down on their own. I had this serviced and they fixed the faders. Platters are still a problem as any input to the right platter on the s4 gets it to autoscratch so I make it a point not to touch them.

Size is an issue no doubt. Running around goa on a bike and climbing up a hill to play isn't fun with the S4. I want one do it all compact controller and am willing to give up remix deck and other functionality for the sake of portability. This is leading me to the K2 but I am not willing to give up sound quality. HAs anyone heard the K2 soundcard and is it noticeably different from the sound card on the s4. K2 is 16 bit and S4 is 24 bit. However I'm told CD's are 16 bit so the sonic quality should not be noticeably different.

Also what functionality of the S4 must be given up when using the K2?