Launchpad vs. Maschine MKII

Default Launchpad vs. Maschine MKII

Launchpad vs. Mashine MKII?

So I am wondering which I would get. Costs aside, which do you guys feel better is better for both live use and Ableton use?

Thanks!

For production use, they both have their merits. However, the Maschine won't be very practical to take around with you everywhere where as my LP is awesome for just that and the performance aspect of it.....
    A&H Xone DB4 l (2) Traktor Kontrol X1 MK2 l Maschine MK2 l Traktor Scratch Pro l Ableton
    Avalon (Hollywood) l Exchange LA (Los Angeles) l DS#ARP LA (Los Angeles) l Undercurrent (San Diego) l Frenzy Afterhours (Los Angeles) l AL Party (Los Angeles) l Spin (San Diego) l Sutra (Orange County) l Monarch (San Francisco)

Quote Originally Posted by epikeddie View Post
    For production use, they both have their merits. However, the Maschine won't be very practical to take around with you everywhere where as my LP is awesome for just that and the performance aspect of it.....
    Why wouldn't Maschine be practical to take around? Doesn't it run both with or without a laptop? (I could be mistaken). Otherwise it doesn't seem so cumbersome.

Thanks

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

You have to have the laptop going to use the Maschine software. That software is the difference between the launchpad and the Maschine and what makes the Maschine what it is.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    You have to have the laptop going to use the Maschine software. That software is the difference between the launchpad and the Maschine and what makes the Maschine what it is.
    That can actually be a plus because it can also be mapped to Ableton, which I already have. But I was hoping it could also run off an internal drive or bank of sounds like an MPC.

Maschine requires a computer, and the new MPCs also require a computer.

I am not sure how a Launchpad would be useful for production.

Maschine is very practical to carry around. Mine come with me everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanmarclavoie View Post
    Why wouldn't Maschine be practical to take around? Doesn't it run both with or without a laptop? (I could be mistaken). Otherwise it doesn't seem so cumbersome.

Thanks
    Size mainly....my Launchpad can slip into my gig bag with my laptop, S2, audio card, and cables.

My Maschine on the other hand.....it's a little big to do that.....

And yes....you do need a computer to run the software for Maschine. So if you're planning on storing samples and clips and want to have drums racks stored for finger drumming.....Launchpad does all that at a much smaller footprint.

If you're wanting the awesome Massive software and create beats.....then yes.....Maschine is awesome!

I have both.....I don't carry around my Maschine.
    A&H Xone DB4 l (2) Traktor Kontrol X1 MK2 l Maschine MK2 l Traktor Scratch Pro l Ableton
    Avalon (Hollywood) l Exchange LA (Los Angeles) l DS#ARP LA (Los Angeles) l Undercurrent (San Diego) l Frenzy Afterhours (Los Angeles) l AL Party (Los Angeles) l Spin (San Diego) l Sutra (Orange County) l Monarch (San Francisco)

I have a launchpad and maschine aswell. I use the LP when i mess with ableton and it does its job well, but I use maschine for so much more. I use maschine to make beats by them selves, and i setup drum and fx banks to play over live stuff in my sets. Like Botstein said, it never leaves me
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

All great info guys. I'm now leaning more toward Maschine and considering LP for the future as it is relatively inexpensive in comparison. I like Ableton but still a newbie to it and I like what I am hearing about Maschine and, again, I can map it to Ableton out the box (or so I've read).

Last edited by jeanmarclavoie; 10-17-2012 at 12:22 AM.