Blogging etiquette?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,596

    Default Blogging etiquette?

    So I just started a blog to help promote my work and the work of my friends and other likeminded canadian artists and I'm very new to this whole thing as it's my first blog.

    My question is am I required to get permission from artists to post their material on my blog? I was also wondering if there are any other restrictions I should abide by when posting peoples work, or re-posting articles from other sources.

    thanks in advance

  2. #2

    Default

    you should always at least ask, and if you've legitimately bought the work being posted, and are not making it available for download (ex. putting it in a flash player in the post), and are posting links to their sites, it should be fine.

    in regards to articles, as long as you make it obvious it's a quote, and give a link to the original, i don't think anyone would really mind. just good practice to double check with the original artist though.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

  3. #3
    Dr. Bento BentoSan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    6,356

    Default

    If your reposting articles from different sources then its curtosy to not jack the whole article. Take a paragraph or two which you think sums up the crux of the article and use that as a quote - then link to the site you took the material off to give them fair traffic to their page. The basic idea is that your there to make clicking on the link as attractive as possible without handing over all the information if your blogging other peoples material.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 07-01-2009 at 11:49 PM.

  4. #4
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,596

    Default

    kk thanks fellas that clears up my confusion. cheers

  5. #5
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Zurich
    Posts
    827

    Default

    whats the url .. i still have the attention of eventually creating a planet digital dj, where I aggregate all blogs related to digital djing.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

  6. #6
    Tech Guru Sherlock Ohms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    1,596

    Default

    The T'interweb radio station I do a show on also has a blog (shameless plug here) and I try to enforce each post having a link to somewhere to buy the album/tracks you're hosting and also to the artists myspace/website/whatever

    We also have a takedown email address on the site, so if someone objects to us hosting something we take it down, and we're also starting to use the divshare flash player so it's easier for people to just listen rather than downloading every track from the site.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

  7. #7
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lsmith View Post
    whats the url .. i still have the attention of eventually creating a planet digital dj, where I aggregate all blogs related to digital djing.
    hey lsmith, it's still in it's infancy stages but you can access it here.
    http://lightsoverbc.blogspot.com/

    before I forget I'd like to encourage all Canadian DJs on DJTT to send me their demo material as we're still in need of many quality contributors. Not only will it be a great way to share your promotional material, it'll allow us to show a portion of the canadian art underground as a semi-united force to people worldwide who may not have otherwise had a chance to discover what we have to offer. You can find out more about our objective on the blog!
    Last edited by wrong chris; 07-02-2009 at 05:31 PM.

  8. #8
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    you should always at least ask, and if you've legitimately bought the work being posted, and are not making it available for download (ex. putting it in a flash player in the post), and are posting links to their sites, it should be fine.

    h.

    what if the work i'm posting was made freely available by artist. for example free promo tracks/remixes and DJ Sets????

    I'm wondering is it really necessary to contact them prior to sharing their free promotional work/demos ?

    I don't see the harm, but I also don't want to shit in my backyard. It would just save alot of time if I didn't have to play email tag. Eventually I'm hoping the blog will get to the point that people are sending me stuff to post rather than me searching for items to post !

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    what if the work i'm posting was made freely available by artist. for example free promo tracks/remixes and DJ Sets????

    I'm wondering is it really necessary to contact them prior to sharing their free promotional work/demos ?

    I don't see the harm, but I also don't want to shit in my backyard. It would just save alot of time if I didn't have to play email tag. Eventually I'm hoping the blog will get to the point that people are sending me stuff to post rather than me searching for items to post !
    if it was explicitly stated that ANYONE could take them for free, i don't see the problem. just remember to link back to where you got them too.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

  10. #10
    Tech Guru Sherlock Ohms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    1,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    Eventually I'm hoping the blog will get to the point that people are sending me stuff to post rather than me searching for items to post !

    Takes a hell of a lot of effort tbh ... we're trying to do that with our blog, and it's been going for 6 months with nary a nibble.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •