Hooking up Studio Monitors to Mixer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Hooking up Studio Monitors to Mixer

Alright guys, I would like to hook up my KRK RP5 G2's to my Behringer VMX300 DJ mixer but Im unsure how to do it. The main outputs of the mixer are labelled 'AMP' 'BOOTH' and 'TAPE', all with RCA connections. I'm guessing I'll have to use unbalanced RCA cables im just unsure which output(s) to use.

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

AMP would be the main outs. Booth out would be fine too it would just be controlled by the booth volume knob. Tape is record out.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I would use Booth.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Convert

Cheers guys, so im right in thinking I have to use unbalanced RCA's yeah? Also, daft question I know but im pretty new to this....how do I connect both speakers up to either 'amp' or 'booth' if the rca cable looks like it can only hook up one speaker?

First, RCA's by definition are unbalanced and to answer your second question use one rca cable for your left speaker and another for your right speaker.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

A lot of RCA cables can be peeled apart to give you separate left and right connections. As you'll see on the back of the RP5s, there's only one RCA input socket whereas on the mixer they're in pairs. If you need more info on the differences between connections, check out my guide that's linked in my signature.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Convert

Cheers englishpint that's helped a lot, good article aswell. So am I right in thinking that if I get split RCA cables I'll need to plug one speaker into AMP and the other into BOOTH?

Nope, as i said, you can take one RCA cable (which consists of a red half for right and a white half for left), peel it in half and plug both sides into the amp (master) output of the mixer and one side into each speaker.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

To clarify, as you see in the following image of your mixer, the amp RCA output has a red and a white half:

But on the back of the speaker, there's only one (black) RCA input:

The red output is connected to the right speaker and the white output is connected to the left speaker. That's the case whether you use the master output or the booth output, there's no need to use both.

Tech Convert

Sorry man was way too slow in understanding that but got it now haha, cheers for the help lads!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast