The old 'whcih soundcard is best' thread.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The old 'whcih soundcard is best' thread.

Right.

I'm currently running TPro + BCD3000, and am in the process of upgrading to the VCI-100 so will be in need of a decent soundcard.

My laptop has no PCMCIA port, nor a FW port, and I'm looking for something to give me a headphone monitor and master out, preferably balanced, that is powered via USB and provides decent sound.

A mic in would be great as well, as I currently use one on my show ...

Ideally looking to spend under £150 and don't mind eBay rummaging for a bargain.

Suggestions?
    Last edited by Sherlock Ohms; 07-02-2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: forgot about the mic thing
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

I recently upgraded my soundcard and got a terratec phase 26 usb.
    At first, I was concerned about the 16bit output, until I did some more research and released that just about every song out there has been recorded at 16bit. You can set it to 24/96 but that restricts the number of ins/outs.

By default its a 5.1 out, with headphone socket (and gain adjust), and has 4 inputs, but be warned, only one is 'active' at a time. However, you can have multiple things plugged into the inputs and switch quickly between them using a panel on the front of the unit.

That makes it ideal for switching between say a turn table (it has phono input with RIAA), an ipod and a mic for instance.. (mic input also converts the mono mic signal to stereo automatically, and has a gain adjust) All of these can be easily routed through traktor using audio/through on an unused deck.

It works under xp and vista, but there is no asio support for vista 64 as of yet (same for most cards I understand).

Quote Originally Posted by djmoonie View Post
    I recently upgraded my soundcard and got a terratec phase 26 usb.
    At first, I was concerned about the 16bit output, until I did some more research and released that just about every song out there has been recorded at 16bit. You can set it to 24/96 but that restricts the number of ins/outs.

By default its a 5.1 out, with headphone socket (and gain adjust), and has 4 inputs, but be warned, only one is 'active' at a time. However, you can have multiple things plugged into the inputs and switch quickly between them using a panel on the front of the unit.

That makes it ideal for switching between say a turn table (it has phono input with RIAA), an ipod and a mic for instance.. (mic input also converts the mono mic signal to stereo automatically, and has a gain adjust) All of these can be easily routed through traktor using audio/through on an unused deck.

It works under xp and vista, but there is no asio support for vista 64 as of yet (same for most cards I understand).
    How bombproof is this thing, whilst I look after my kit, I'm going to lug it around to gigs, so a bit of build quality wouldn't go amiss.

What are the DACs like?
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Take a look at the spec sheet itself and decide for yourself:-

http://www.terratec.net/en/driver-an...ASE%2026%20USB

Build quality is good.. the ins/outs are sturdy RCA and not 3.5mm jacks. And the mic and heaphone inputs are on fullsize 6.3mm jacks.

All encased in a metal casing.

Oh, and it also has a midi interface built in, if you ever what to add a controller thats not USB, like the faderfox's.

Looks quite nice actually, but is discontinued - I'll keep an eye out for one on eBay/equivalent

Further suggestions?

Its still sold as a current model on thomann which is where I got it, no less than a month ago.

I'm in love with my audio4dj
    macbook/2 Stanton STR.150 /Axiom 25/AKAI MPD 25/Vestax vci-100/Serato sl3/Ableton live 8 suite/ krk monitor/Ecler Nuo 2.0/Akai mpd24/midiFighter /Audio 4/2 Pioneer cdj 800mk2/

Quote Originally Posted by djmoonie View Post
    Its still sold as a current model on thomann which is where I got it, no less than a month ago.
    Ah, cool. It's listed as discontinued on the manufacturers and dv247 site. I'll see if I can get it from thomann. Cheers

Tech Mentor

Maybe an audio kontrol 1?

Tech Wizard

For my controllerism setup i went for a Novation NIO 2/4.

It's USB powered, has 2 headphones outputs, 2 outputs, and 2 inputs for mic or guitar.

and it's cheap ( around 200usd ).

http://www.novationmusic.com/product...erface/nio_2_4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast