My first DJ performance.

Default My first DJ performance.

Today was the first day I DJ'ed for an audience, around 150 sweaty band nerds aged 15-18 danced with glow sticks to the music that I played. It was exhilarating. My small town in Texas, Weatherford, has NO music scene. EMD is unheard of, but somehow I managed to keep a group of people interested for a little over an hour. I was nervous to how the audience would respond to "real dance music". I think this "shock factor" kept people interested.

My set up was minimal, barebones. My Macbook, a 1/8 to RCA cable, and an X1 (custom mapped for mixing). The day before's test run went great. I took this photo as I mixed while people set up streamers:

photo-4.jpg

The next day everything was lovely,

photo-3.jpg

I learned a lot about DJing in a very short amount of time. I learned how I need to pay attention to the audience; please them but still surprise them. My mixing wasn't phenomenal, I rode the filters to much. But the positives FAR demolished my shortcomings. In the end everyone had fun, the thing that really matters.

Tech Convert

Sounds awesome. The only audience Ive played for is almost all my friends... Mixing for hours on end when were just hanging out at a house or driving long distances. The biggest thing that affects my mixing is whether I'm REALLY into it or not. If I'm just like "Oh Im gonna play some music because blah." Something goes wrong compared to being REALLY into it and pulling out awesome transitions and making awesome use of effects.

Its strange I feel like I just really got in the zone. Things just really went my way. Now I'm going to save up for like an Z2.

Sounded like a great night. I am in the same boat as you are, I live in a really small town no music scene here. I moved here for my job, and new to djing i took it up as a hobby but i seem to be doing more and more for school and such. They all are into top 40 here and when i drop a dance track they was like WHAT! lol they really loved it and danced to it . I kinda thought about trying to open a dance club here to give them something to do, but not sure if i really want to do this as i am busy enough already.

It's kinda strange how much people seemed to enjoy dance music when they don't really listen to it. But EDM seems to get bigger and bigger. Probably by the the time I go to college, I'm a sophomore in high school, EMD will be HUGE!