VSTs - What you use and why?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default VSTs - What you use and why?

Hello All,

So I've been working on my production now for a little over a year and I'm finally starting to get comfortable with my setup and starting to hone in on an organized workflow (ill Gates you are a genius) The genres of music that a typically dabble in are dubstep, hard dance, and trapish experimental dubby grooves (mimosa's most recent ablum like).

Anyway to VSTs,

I own Komplete 8 and use MASSIVE and FM8 on almost all my tracks. I do have a few friends who play guitar and run their stuff through GuitarRig5 when we try to collaborate.
    I will say although I'm not usually one to jump on bandwagons, MASSIVE is absolutely amazing. For subbass and mid-basses it really can't be matched.

I have a question about a particular VST synth that has caught my imagination. This synth would be iZotope's Iris. It's a sampling based re-synthesizer. Pretty much you can put samples into it then isolate certain frequencies of a particular sample and blend it with other samples and add other oscillators with them all while viewing what the sound would "look" like. It looks very intriguing and I feel I could get some very interesting soundscape type pads or weird freqed out fx. If anyone has used this synth or owns it your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

It would also to be awesome to hear about any other VSTs you use whether its effects or instruments.
    13" Macbook_Kontrol S2_MF Classic_Ableton Live8_Akai Synthstation 25_Akai APC40

I'm a big Omnisphere fan, the iPad integration is awesome and it's as deep or simple of a synth as you want it to be. Sounds absolutely fabulous too.

I like Synplant a lot of simpler stuff and for it's just plain awesome interface. I wish more developers would come up with unique and interesting ways to make sounds other than just copying the standard subtractive synthesis formula.

Seems I switch SW plugins and synths every three months.... Just now it's mostly Logic's built in SW synths as every time I use them I realize how good they really are.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Maschine, Sylenth, Kontakt, and Minimonsta mainly, I like the sounds I can make them spit, hate endless lists of vsts.
    Last edited by padi_04; 10-26-2012 at 06:59 AM.

Massive, Sylenth and Curve are my go-to's. Use them day in day out.

Tech Mentor

Superwave P8 and the Performer were two of my absolute fav VSTs however, they don't seem to have mac version which is sad

I use Sylenth1 and Virus PoCo, awesome combination!

Tech Wizard

I use Maschine and since recently I also use Massive (because of the sweeeeeeeeet move made by NI!). But right now I still use most of the presets to play around with. Not too familiar with the softsynth to make decent patches yet. Have about 2 year novice experience in Reason, which luckily gives me some understanding about the basic features.

More interested to start out with hardware synths. But the investment + low level of skill I posses is kinda holding me back.

analog, operator, sampler, massive, fm8, b4, reason(not a vst but it sounds aweeeesome)

if it makes a sound i will use it. if it makes a sound i like i will use it again check out some of the free stuff like glitch and synth 1, also some of the major ones like nexus and sylenth are awesome...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast