Building PA Question - First Time
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Building PA Question - First Time

This may come off as a stupid question. And forgive me for my ignorance…

I am beginning the process of planning and building a PA System so I can get out and play at some parties and such. I did not know anything about PA's until about 4 hours ago.

I see the basic system calls for a Mixer, Amp, and speakers. There are powerd speakers, powered mixers and so on. I am trying to do this on the cheap to get it up and going so that I can buy more to add later.

Would I be able to go from my Kontrol S2 with TRS cables straight to an amp (With TRS input) that then goes to the speakers over XLR/Speakon?

Controller > Amp > Speakers

My thinking is since I'm not a band with traditional instruments I don’t need a multichannel mixer with lots of inputs because everything (EQ, Effects, Mic input) is on my controller/software

Will this work just to get me up and going with a PA?

Tech Guru

I don't see anything wrong with that

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with that
    I didn’t either. But I didn’t want to buy something and then break it right away from lack of knowledge or experience

Tech Convert

If you have active speakers you can even plugin the s2 directly to the speakers!

Tech Mentor

Definitely get active speakers. So worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Parameter Y View Post
    If you have active speakers you can even plugin the s2 directly to the speakers!
    I saw that but I noticed you tend to get less sound for the same price. I could go with lower wattage self powered speaker or for the same price just get a better speaker. Then maybe get a smaller amp and have the headroom to get a better amp later on. I dunno I'm still looking at all the options. I was thinking of heading to my local guitar center to just hear the difference in different configurations for myself.

Tech Guru

just a tip. Underpowered amps are a recipe for disaster. Not to also mention that a 200w amp powering speakers that are rated for 200w will be a lot louder than a 200w amp powering speakers that are rated for 1000w.

Tech Mentor

What is your budget to start?
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

So if i were planing to buy a pair of 1000w speakers I should look at a 2000w amp?

Quote Originally Posted by brocklambert View Post
    What is your budget to start?
    Id like to keep it under or as close to $600 as possible. The speakers i think I've decided on are Behringer EUROLIVE B215XL

Now I'm trying to decide on an amp. But it looks like i might overshoot my budget if I have to buy a bigger amp. I didn't think of what manchild said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast