how to make good delay FX in TP?
    Tech Wizard

Default how to make good delay FX in TP?

Is anybody happy with the delay FX in TP?

I think they are really the opposite of good. I can't create well sounding "musical" delays with them. I want to create effects that you don't hear as effects, I want them to blend with the music like good dub delays.

- the filter in the delay is too subtle
    - it's difficult to "feed" the delay with a button, I really prefer a send effect with a "feed" knob, because you have much more control.

I'm wondering if I'm the only one...

it's so easy to make good delays in ableton that I'm really a bit frustrated that I still have to use it along TP mainly because of TPs poor delays. Or is there something I don't get?

Tech Guru

I am not sure if I have the same issues, but I am also having a hard time to get the delay to sound good. To me it just doesnt work like what I would want. I guess I want an "echo", which is how Ean is using it .. but it just doesn't come out sounding that way when I use it.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Tech Wizard

I get a surprising amount of use from my delay in T3, to the point where it's always on in my FX1 bank. I use the delay T3 mode, which with the feedback and filter around the centre position, and just work the wet/dry control from there. Usually I'll have timing set on 3/16s, and from there I can make anything from delayed out sample shots, little drum fills to add interest, or huge buildups from scratch. I find it's best to filter out some of the bass at the same time as using the delay, otherwise things can start to sound a bit too muddy.

Fus

Are your issues with chained mode ? or advanced mode ? or both ?

i wish the damn fx had multiband compression to keep the levels in check.

I completely forgot about advanced FX mode, i've been using chained for so long, after a play this afternoon i may use one side advanced, one side chained i think (delay freeze)
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

bentosan:
    I use the advanced mode. I have no real issue, I'm just used to more versatile delays. I have to less control about it in TP. I miss the possibility to drive the delay into self feedback and multi delays. the filter for the wet signal is way to gentle for me. I agree about the level check too.

Brief: the problem for me with TP in general is that it's not open enough to do easy workarounds and not optimized enough to work in a "set and forget style" like with well designed hardware.