Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S4 and 2.6 bugs

Default S4 , 2.6 bugs & random thoughts

So I'm creating this while I test with the s4 this new promising update.
    I'm also creating it here within the s4's section as I can't tell if that could be applied to other controllers.
    Feel free to add to the subject and/or add it on another thread.

First bug I felt into:
    * (new and F%µ£¨¨¨major one): I use macros to change effects in group mode, the title of the effect changes..not the effect itself (ie the audio is applied with a previous effect sound, not the chosen current one!! I'm still trying to figure why as it's not even taking into account the previous one but another one. For example I use a macro to choose a reverb, title changes to reverb but that's a gater effect applied). The most logical way I can think of to explain that would be a relationship with the coding that relates to the situation of a given effect within your list of effects (something here that is totally different about mappings where an effect is changed within the list and its mapping command, as I said here, the title changes in the effect slot where it is another one). This bug is only affecting some effects it seems and not in all circumstances, there's no pattern I could recognise for this. Weird. It affects for me the reverb, TTFX, digital lofi and some others.

* something that didn't change and that sucks: the choice of an advanced effect will also change the 1st slot in group mode. Boring before, still boring.

The flux mode is quite cool for loops.
    If you set a deck to flux mode, note that the loop size encoder's push button will now act as an 'hold' type and won't be toggling anymore the loop active on and off. In place you select the size, engage the loop by pushing and holding the encoder, play with its size, release the loop by releasing the encoder. Quite cool.
    My buttons are set to auto loop so to now engage a 'real' loop i use either the 'in' or 'ou' buttons to set either a 4 or 8 beats loop and divide or multiply its size with the same buttons. In flux mode, the active button does as it did before (mainly here now activates on/off a loop for a stored 'hotloop').
    I'm not a great fan of the flux mode for hotcues (I use them mainly to cut tracks or move from a section to another one, so the flux mode here is quite pointless, probably better for cue point juggling). I also find the flux mode when scratching not that efficient (there's a tiny bit of lag when the audio 'rejumps' to where it's supposed to be - but I'm not scratch efficient anyway so my view doesn't really count. Can it be related to temp or beat sync options? If someone could give his opinion here that would be great.

I may have missed it but there's no visual feedback indication that the flux mode is on or off apart inside the deck header's drop down menu, that sucks.

I'm not a great fan of the new effects apart from one or two, the rest are "meh" (that's very subjective and I need more experience, but those are things that could have been created before (for example a slicer+flanger, etc...).

I'll work on what can be done with the override option in the mapping. But especially curious of the browse/copy mode and the links with all related buttons to those modes. Globally speaking I'm still wondering about how the override option would affect decks layers and things that do use a build-in invisible modifier.

I don't like the fact it's still not possible to map the loop length encoder...

That's it for now. More to come.
    Last edited by Yul; 10-26-2012 at 11:18 AM.
    Originally Posted by VOX5505 Enough that I'm not one of the "top DJs"...assuming you mean deadmau5/tiesto etc. But I'm right at the front of the tier right below them...If I wanted to, there are so many "I'm infinitely more successful with music than you'll ever be" cards I could be pulling right now...
    Originally Posted by DigitalDevil You kinda sound like you're full of shit...

* I was always annoyed in 4 units mode, that by changing deck layers, you changes also the control on the fx units (passing from deck a to c or from b to d, changes also the fx units controls from 1 to 3 and 2 to 4). Not anymore.
    Just create the functions in the default mapping to control d/w and fx parameters, assign to units 1 and 2,ticking the override option.
    You now have control only on fx units 1&2 even when changing layers.

You're not stuck anymore by the way fx units are routed to decks by overriding that with new commands.

* you still cannot map a button command to a fader or knob. It still indicates "inappropriate control". Why oh why?? That was something I had hope in this update. Next time maybe. I would have hoped to be able to create super knobs that can select and activates effect(s)...

* the jog mode option to control fx still doesn't work when on remix decks. The load buttons loading a sample. NI recognised that was something to be changed, not this time it seems. I'll see if by changing the default mapping now I can change that (but comes the question about deck layers/related modifiers).

* the disable jog push option affects the jog mode option: ie if you tick that option and want the jog to control the filter, the filter doesn't move... silly. Same with the fx option. The disable option and the jog mode were two separate things before and that was fine and made sense, why did they modify that??
    If I'm not mistaken the load button when in jog mode fx doesn't activate the fx itself, only moves the 3rd parameter..silly also.
    Last edited by Yul; 10-26-2012 at 07:11 AM.
    Originally Posted by VOX5505 Enough that I'm not one of the "top DJs"...assuming you mean deadmau5/tiesto etc. But I'm right at the front of the tier right below them...If I wanted to, there are so many "I'm infinitely more successful with music than you'll ever be" cards I could be pulling right now...

Important note:
    overriding command will be applied to the control whatever the s4 layer currently used. It means that if you want to change a control only on one layer (for example a deck layer), you'll need to duplicate the deck layers change mapping with relating modifiers (ie redo the whole thing) and preview all links between buttons.

For example (that may interest Scamo for example): you can get rid of the copy mode by creating a function on the browse button but at the same time, you need to recreate the browse mode and all its features fully (ie creating a toggling modifier for a browse mode using the button and creating all commands related). It seems quite a positive thing, but for most controls that would involve quite a mapping task.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yul View Post
    S
    First bug I felt into:
    * (new and F%µ£¨¨¨major one): I use macros to change effects in group mode, the title of the effect changes..not the effect itself (ie the audio is applied with a previous effect sound, not the chosen current one!! I'm still trying to figure why as it's not even taking into account the previous one but another one. For example I use a macro to choose a reverb, title changes to reverb but that's a gater effect applied). The most logical way I can think of to explain that would be a relationship with the coding that relates to the situation of a given effect within your list of effects (something here that is totally different about mappings where an effect is changed within the list and its mapping command, as I said here, the title changes in the effect slot where it is another one). This bug is only affecting some effects it seems and not in all circumstances, there's no pattern I could recognise for this. Weird
    Could this be related to adding the new effects in and that changing the order? Not saying it's not a bug, just that could be one of the underlying causes.

Yeah thought about that but it seems not as if it was coming from the list itself, that would have changed the mapping command itself. It is really something completely different as not all effects are touched, the mapping line(s) are correct, the right title for the effect applies in the fx unit header..but not the fx audio itself. As for example in some cases , my reverb (titled correctly as reverb) is actually a gater... but not all the time. Same for ttfx and some others.
    As I'm dropping the add-on mappings I use to modify directly the default one now, I'll see if that something that's still here.
    Last edited by Yul; 10-26-2012 at 08:50 AM.

* there are no more crackling sounds when searching trough effects.

Hey Yul. Thanks for thinking about me. So it is possible to get rid of the copy mode, but to do that you have to map all the browse mode functions?

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

Bug/change for loop active. Before 2.6 I could use my preset hot cued loops as just cue points with looping deactivated. Now with looping off when I hit a preset loop's hot cue looping activates automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by scamo View Post
    Hey Yul. Thanks for thinking about me. So it is possible to get rid of the copy mode, but to do that you have to map all the browse mode functions?

scamo
    From what I can tell with only a small amount of messing with the mapping override. When you map a function to a button and override the original function, it doesn't take any layers, modifiers, or shift into account. The button now always has that function, unless ( I'm assuming since I haven't had time to try it yet) you remap the the modifiers and functions to achieve what the stock mapping did. Problem is, if you remap using the override feature, every button you remap will lose all other functions.

So if you override the original function of the browse button, you lose browse, copy, and change to midi mode. You would have to remap everything you wanted to have like the original mapping. To do this though, would cause every remapped button to only use the new mapping.

Changes to buttons/knobs that have only one function, or have functions you don't use would be the way to go. Like gain encoders, pitch offset buttons, loop in out buttons, load buttons, etc. What ever you personally don't use. You can however add a function to the button in addition to the stock mapping. Like using the cue buttons to turn on/off flux and still having it work as a cue button at the same time.

What I did try was to map flux on/off to the load button on deck A. That worked fine, but when I switch to deck C the load button still turns flux on/off for deck A. So I need to add(not override) a toggling modifier to the deck swap button to achieve having the load button turn flux mode on/off independently for each deck.

So it's a nice feature, but limited in use, and you really have to take into account what is affected by the changes.
    Last edited by VanGogo; 10-26-2012 at 01:38 PM.

So it is possible to get rid of the copy mode, but to do that you have to map all the browse mode functions?
    any re-mapping will do strictly that : erase what's previewed ('under' layers included). So everything needs to be remapped fully. And so any opther interactions the control may have with any other buttons it seems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast