Still worth getting 1210s? Is this still relevant?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Still worth getting 1210s? Is this still relevant?

Sudden melodramatic dilemma alert...

Looks like there are many Technics 1210's out there for decent prices, loads of older DJs are getting rid of them. Having recently upgraded to Traktor Scratch, I was leaning towards getting a setup. Seems like a no-brainer: practicing would be much much more fun than messing around with a controller and I just always somehow felt I should own a pair.

Weird thing is, at the same time I'm about to shell out the cash, I got mixed feelings. It's 2012. Almost nobody uses turntables or vinyl anymore and I'm pretty confident I'll always use USB sticks CDJs when playing out live. Everything is on laptops/tablets, kids have no idea how to turn it on. Isn't this a step back, some weird form of premature middle-age crisis akin to buying Corvettes?? Can this money be used better? Like modular systems, better soundcards for production, etc...

I don't know, just had to share

Well I have a pair of 1200s and a pair of 1210s which is why I'm selling one, but I'd hate to get rid of turntables altogether. I don't even use them very often, but I love them too much to lose them.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

I have sold 3 pairs of Technics in my time & regretted every one - if I had space I would get some more, and it sounds like you'd have fun on them so why not - you don't have to use them playing out.
    SC | MC

Tech Mentor

Can the money be used better elsewhere? Absolutely. But it's really satisfying to pick up your first pair of Technics... even if you never use them.

Tech Wizard

This post is actually timed perfectly. I recently switched to a DVS setup with 2 Tech 1210's (I'd say about 2 months ago?). To give you a bit of background, I started DJ'ing maybe 3 years ago, initially with Ableton and an APC40... Then I moved onto Traktor and was using an X1 and my X1600 mixer. I used that for about a year and a half and I loved it. It was a super easy set up, worked just as you'd think, and it was great. But something was missing. I was starting to get super tired of beatgridding my songs and wanted to learn how to beatmatch manually.

So 2 months ago I picked up a single Tech 1210 and used it with Traktor scratch in single turntable mode, just to decide if it was for me or not. Not soon after I bought a second table. And last night I had a massive epiphany. I was pissed I didn't buy them ages ago! There's just something about the aesthetic and feel of manipulating vinyl on a platter versus a controller that just feels more organic to me. Not only that, but I've found myself becoming much more creative with them, and without beatgridding songs (something I used to labor over intensely). As part of a DVS system, they're incredible. I've never used CDJs so I can't compare to them, though from what I hear CDJ's have less tempo drift... In my experience with Technics, they have tempo quartz lock and you can typically dial in your tempo to .01 accuracy and the quartz lock keeps it there with pretty minimal drift if any. As an emergency measure, I've MIDI mapped 2 buttons on my mixer for phase sync Deck A and phase sync Deck B. So if stuff starts to come slightly off line while I'm in the mix, I can just tap one of those buttons once and it will get back on phase.

Long story short, I absolutely love the tables and I couldn't see myself going in another direction other than CDJ's. I certainly will never go back to a controller. Plus as a music lover, it's great to finally be able to collect vinyls for my favorite releases. Analog really DOES sound better. I didn't want to believe it and figured a FLAC or WAV would be preferred, but playing a vinyl of the latest FlyLo for example, against a FLAC of the same album, and you can clearly hear so much more warmth in the entire sound scape. Certainly more low end warmth and it just seems to sound much more natural to me.

Yes, it's worth getting 1200s especially if you're using a DVS. This is my favorite type of DJing.

No doubt about it, technics have their history and place in the DJing world, id never get rid of my set. I wish I had room for another set so I can set it up battle style and have friends over.

Tech Guru

Vinyl is still the funnest way to mix in my opinion. Like people say you can't beat the feeling of wax cueing up and throwing records is way more enjoyable.

Tech Wizard

My next purchase, for use with my vci400ege. Vinyl and technics will always have a market!
    vci400se | envy beats i7 | traktor pro 2.5.1

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    Can the money be used better elsewhere? Absolutely.
    I disagree.

"Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast