Alternative to the UMC32?

Default Alternative to the UMC32?

Can anybody suggest a cheap alternative to the UMC32? I'm looking to build several controllers and need to buy in bulk. The UMC is just a bit too expensive.....

Tech Mentor

well I was searching the web recently looking for a cheap unit and found that a new arduino pcb just came out it`s called the mega, it has 16 analoge outs and another 50something for digital in or out. In Germany it`s about 50 Euros at the moment. So depending where you are considerably cheaper than the umc because shipping to Europe is already 20$.
    Maybe ask str8updrew, he seems to spend a lot of his time soldering

Tech Wizard

Looks like you need to be able to program to use the Arduino, the UMC is pretty much ready to go out the box - all you have to do is connect the inputs to it.

Default Arduino

The Arduino looks great but it seems that even people who are proficient with programming have not made much progress with it in the realm of midi control.

Tech Mentor

oh shit, I really wanted that thing to work easily (dreaming about hot solder at night) but maybe the lack of midi units was also due to the fact that the mega board is the first one with enough analogue ins. I know that there is a project for a drumcontroller in the web and some sites about arduinomes (as I understood monome clones on the arduino basis) and also a couple of tutorials about how to get basic controls to work ie: making an LED light up and getting data from a pot.

And even if the information is remains to be HID you could still use bomes or something to convert it into midi and map in traktor or whatever from there on. Or did I miss something?

Anyway I don`t have any proficiency in these matters, but I remember that in one threat MonicaMHZ also mentioned the arduinos
    So please build something nice with an arduino core do some heroic coding and send me a copy....

Another way to go should be the midibox 64s there must be someone who sells them preassembled somewhere too. The monodeck still is one of the most awesome units I have seen anywhere