Kontrol Z2 - EFX

Default Kontrol Z2 - EFX

So I'm a 7 year user of ScratchLIVE/ITCH, and am considering adding Traktor to the arsenal again.
    I used to have TSP w' Audio8 about 3 years ago, and for traditional mixing didn't really like it, so I sold it.
    But then Native added those wonderful Remix Decks to Traktor, and I've been coveting it ever since.

I sold my Zero4 a while back, and have been using the NS6 to control ITCH, as well as ScratchLIVE (w' M5Gs).
    I am eager to get a "real" mixer again, and am considering getting the upcoming Kontrol Z2.

The thing is, I am a bit confused about EFX implementation w' the Z2. I get it that Traktor is adding these
    combo/macro effects, and have but (1) pot to control them by. Though, where I am confused is in how you
    would control Traktor's traditional effects. Would they also be controlled by the single pot, or would I need to
    get an X1 to control them? If that's the case, wouldn't I need two X1s so that I could control the F1's effects as well?

Like I said, I am kinda' ignorant to all of this, and appreciate any help Y'all can give me.
    I want to make the most informed purchase as possible.

Well on the subject of the 1 knob fx control, yep you have to get by using only 1 knob to control the "normal" fx. So if you need/want more control, you will need another midi controller, native's x1 or any other depending on what you want. On the subject of the x1, i think 1 would be enough to get all the controls you could need if you have the z2 on the side. Being that you could then control let's say, fx slot 1 and 2 in macro mode with the z2, and fx slot 3 and 4 with the x1 in either advanced or chained mode easily.

Now, the 1 knob for fx is there to keep the mixer simple, solid, and really fast to use. But more so because of the new fx type they added in traktor 2.6 (macro fx). These new fx are controllable with only 1 knob. And depending on where you are with the knob, the fx evolves in different ways.

To give you a perspective, i can totally live by using just 1 knob and 1 button per fx engine in traktor. I use the knob to control the last parameter knob (usually the most important) and the button as the on/off. But i use fx only sparingly, even tho i really like fx (and i'm really liking the new macro fx, great even in small doses !)
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

Thanks for replying, oneapemob.

I completely understand the "macro" effects, insofar that they are essentially groups of chained effects that Native have created. Where I am "still" confused is as to whether I will be able to use the one knob on the Z2 to engage, let's say, a single effect such as Delay, or a single effect of Reverb, Flange, or whatever else? I too use effects sparingly, and am not too interested in doing multiple (3 or more) chained effects....maybe a little, but nothing too crazy. If I were to chain effects, all I would want is a Delay/Filter, Reverb/Filter, or a Delay/Flanger. These were the typical combinations I would use when I had the Korg Zero4.

I remember reading that you cannot "create" macro effects yet, so I am confused as to how I would accomplish the afore mentioned effect parameters with the Z2 alone. You see, with how I am looking at thing currently, I would rarely, if at all, use the control surface of the Z2 for anything other than the dedicated software filters. Unless I can control a single, or at the most double, effect with the single knob on the Z2, my understanding is that I would need an X1 to accomplish this functionality.

Are you following me? Have I got this all wrong?

Again, I appreciate any help you, or anyone else, can give toward making understand all of this.

Yep i understand you

You can of course control a "normal" fx, the only thing, is that you will only control one (of the three) parameter of said fx. I'm guessing that when not controlling one of the new macro fx, and instead a normal one in advanced mode, the knob on the z2 will be controlling the "fx parameter 3", wich is for example the timing on the delay, the size on the reverb, or the frequency on the advanced filter.

What may be of interest to you then, is how to select another fx in the list. Well i'm guessing that "shift+knob" will allow you to scroll thru the list of fx.

There is one thing you can do if you have a midi controller at your disposal, download traktor's demo, and try it, this way you will even get to check out what the macro fx are, and possibly set up a little mapping to test a "one knob controlling an fx slot".
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

What may be of interest to you then, is how to select another fx in the list. Well i'm guessing that "shift+knob" will allow you to scroll thru the list of fx.
    Yeah, this was a concern for me as well. Thanks for reading my mind

There is one thing you can do if you have a midi controller at your disposal, download traktor's demo, and try it, this way you will even get to check out what the macro fx are, and possibly set up a little mapping to test a "one knob controlling an fx slot".
    Yeah, I think I will do that. I have the NS6, so I can get an idea that way.

Thank you very much for your help, oneapemob!!!
    Last edited by blackavenger; 10-28-2012 at 09:57 AM.