Syncing two Traktors on separate laptops-using Open Sound Control and ethernet cable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Syncing two Traktors on separate laptops-using Open Sound Control and ethernet cable

I was reading through forums and there are mainly two ways how to send midi clock and information about the master tempo: either having external sound cards with midi inputs and outputs and send midi signal through there. As demonstrated here:

But because I do not want to spend money on buying and using more hardware I hoped this could be finished with the other option.

Ssing Open Sound Control software to enable MIDI transmitting between two computers. What software specifically do you need for that and what are the steps to get two computers synced? Anyone found a final solution to this? There are also programmes like IPmidi, are they any good?

Tech Wizard

123 views and no one has any clue?

PM djchriswoods. I know he managed it but I've never tried.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    PM djchriswoods. I know he managed it but I've never tried.
    The query says: The following users were not found: djchriswoods

Maybe you misspeled it?

add .co.uk
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Thanks guys, I contacted him.

He is the guy who actually filmed the first video, using Audio 8 soundcards and sending midi clock through them. OSC method is allegedly used by Richie Hawtin connecting MBP with Maschine and MBP with Traktor.

Is there some cheaper device doing the same job? I can't afford spending 600E on these.. /

With OSX this is not difficult to do. You could use AU Net Send/Receive for sending and receiving a midi clock between two Mac's using an ethernet cable. Use google how to set this up.

I don't really understand what you're trying to achieve with using OSC. OSC is just an interface and not an actual clock or timecode signal. Also, Traktor only supports midi clock: no MTC, SMPTE or Word clock whatsoever. This results in phase shifts between the two computers, which you need to solve manually during your sets.

Short story: Traktor hates midi sync between two devices/programs, because of a lack in decent time code capabilities. Every other decent audio software program has at least MTC. People have been bugging NI for ages now (since Traktor DJ Studio 3 as far as I can remember), but are not eager to do something about it because only a small part of the Traktor user base needs this.
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

Tech Wizard

Ok, I will have a look at it, we only need the information about tempo, phase shifts don't bother us that much.

What we want to achieve is play tracks from one computer and being able to fire samples from the other computer (via remix decks) in loops that would match tempo of a track (the remix deck will have "sync" checked and will be receiving information from the the master computer)..

If you want your laptops to stay in time with each other, you DO want to care about phase shifts, or else your laptops will start to drift from each other.
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast