ASUS n56v USB 3.0 Traktor Problems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default ASUS n56v USB 3.0 Traktor Problems

I posted this in General Discussion first, but realized that wasn't the best place to post it.

I heard there was a discussion thread on here about these issues but I can't find it. Can someone please link it to me?

I got this laptop 3 weeks ago and it's phenomenal. I just started to set up my Traktor and get things rolling. It was the last on my to-do list with this laptop. Had no idea i'd run into problems with the UPGRADED usb ports... I'm hearing the only fix is upgrading to Windows 8. Is that seriously the only fix?

Traktor just keeps freezing on me no matter which usb port I use.

Any advice is appreciated. I can't DJ anymore

Edit: Oh dear god I just watched the Windows 8 reviews. Please let there be another way around this.

Background info:

I used to use an MSI laptop but it broke down on me. I used Traktor 2.1 and it worked great. Tried the 2.5 update and it failed horribly. So I promptly switched back. I promised myself I wouldn't update again til the next update assuming they've fixed all the problems. Now I have the new laptop, I downloaded the 2.6 version. But now my problem lies with the USB 3.0 ports. I have four of them on my ASUS N56V Laptop.

ANY help is GREATLY appreciated!

DJTT Mapping Psycho

I have the same N-series laptop (Asus N56VM), it has only usb 3.0 ports and it will crash with audio devices, not only the S2 /s4.
    You can disable the USB 3.0 ports in windows 7 by installing 2.0 drivers, but I recommend windows 8 to get the most out of your computer. It fixes all hardware issues and gets your pc on par.

I tried disabling 3.0 it myself, but then I ran into various issues (like using outdated drivers) that I don't want on a new laptop.
    So I upgraded to windows 8 for a few bucks, now my laptop runs very stable and lightning fast. I use it as a music workstation only and for that task Win8 is very suitable.
    Now I don't say Windows8 is a great OS (it's not) but it runs very smooth with low resources and most drivers for the N56 are updated for windows 8.
    So for real performance on a neat machine like the N56 I would say that's the way to go.
    Last edited by beaubryte; 11-07-2012 at 04:23 AM.

Tech Convert

beaubryte I appreciate the response! I love your midimap for the S2, that's what I started with 6 months ago when I got my equipment!

Anyways.. can you go into more detail about the various issues like "outdated drivers"? What specifically are you talking about? Is is really that not worth it to disable the 3.0 USB?

I'm wondering because I really want windows 8 to be the LAST resort, it looks awful to me and counter productive. Not to mention the ads they throw in on an OS.

How much was it for the windows 8?

DJTT Mapping Psycho

To disable USB 3.0 I had to "fool" the chipset with other 2.0 drivers not meant for this system.
    I ended up using 2008 drivers for a brand new 2012 maschine.
    Nevertheless, I never got it working flawlessly, so I gave up after two days of struggling.
    So I can't help you get it working.

The windows upgrade was an easy solution.
    It's hard to judge win8 if you haven't used it yet. Although there are many bloatware apps, it doesn't affect your system that much. It uses low resources for that. It's quite simple to remove all unnecessary programs and apps. Use 8 with the "classic shell" software, it turns the metro desktop into the good old windows 7 environment after starting.

I decided to go with the upgrade, it's 30 bucks, I got it on sale for half that price.
    I think you can get a discount with your machine too: https://windowsupgradeoffer.com/

Again, on a nice mashine like the N56 I would put the most stable os and drivers on it.

Tech Convert

I'm going to use my better judgement and take your advice with getting windows 8. Messing around with drivers is not something I want to take a hack at, and you say you never got it to work flawlessly. The classic shell sold me, that's exactly what I was going to miss.. that and my Rainmeter desktop.. hopefully somehow that will stay.

thx for the links. can't wait to get back to djing

Tech Convert

I'm reporting back in with a full night of Windows 8 use, and I have to say it's no where NEAR as bad as I was expecting, or thought to believed. I didn't even need to use the classic shell, it's easy to navigate as long as you take the time to learn. Which isn't long at all.

Traktor runs perfect! I love having a new dimension on my laptop, some apps are quite useful and intuitive!

My only issue lies with scrolling when I'm not using a mouse. Two finger scrolling on my touchpad has disabled itself, but I know i'm close to a fix. I'm seeing lots of articles on it, just have to find the most recent updated one.

And I don't really like the glitchy side scrolling in some of the apps but hopefully that will be figured out soon.

7/10 I'm happy so far, and i know it can only get better from here.

DJTT Mapping Psycho

Glad to hear you're on the right track.
    Make sure you download the Asus ATK driver pack and the Asus Smart Gesture. They solve your multi-touch issues.

http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...56VM&p=3&s=390
    (this is the link for the n56-VM, dunno what type you have)

There are more updates there which can be useful, like Intel VGA, Nvidia VGA, bios etc.
    Maybe those will solve your glitchy scrolling, otherwise set your visuals to "Best Performance" in the advanced system settings menu.

Tech Convert

Yea that's the same ASUS model as mine. Thanks, the touch pad works perfect now. Even does the 2 finger side scrolling for the apps. I installed that driver, and the nVidia one. It said my intel one was already up to date though.

2 things.

Now that the touchpad worked, my HDMI stopped working.. I normally connect my laptop to my TV and that just stopped working. Can't seem to find an HDMI driver. I think the nvidia update messed it up somehow. The only game I have on here is diablo3 and that ran fine so I don't think there was an issue with the update.. So i'm not sure what happened to the HDMI during those 2 driver updates.

The other thing is the BIOS update. I've read & am reading again that these are sometimes risky. I read that whatever installs the BIOS update sometimes doesn't work properly with 64 bit operating systems and can't re-install the bios so your computer gets bricked. Not sure how common this is but I've been preparing this laptop for the past month and am scared to ruin everything I've done lol.

You think updating the BIOS (if it isn't already up to date I have no clue) will fix my HDMI connection problem? Sooooooo close to all my issues being resolved

DJTT Mapping Psycho

Dunno about your hdmi, do you set the video output in your nvidia, intel or native windows properties??
    Maybe this works: plug in your hdmi, Go to windows display settings, set your desktop to your laptop screen only.
    Then go to the nvidia settings (right click icon next to clock) to setup multiple displays. This menu works a little more straightforward then the windows menu.
    If this did not work, then maybe you need to update the chipset drivers.

Don't think a bios update is gonna solve this issue.
    You can download the WinFlash tool and the bios from the asus site.
    WinFlash updates your bios in a single click while running windows. No real skills needed.
    If you use common sense while updating it's pretty safe, so close all programs and let it flash in peace.

Tech Convert

Chipset update fixed the HDMI issue. Gonna pass on the BIOS update for now though.

I'm officially satisfied! Everything's working great now! Honestly thanks for the help beaubryte. I'm so glad I have my machine running smoothly now Now I just gotta beat-grid all my songs on Traktor again hahah.

Take care!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast