I NEED OPINIONS!!! Traktor kontrol S4 vs the new pioneer DDJ-SX - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The SX looks amazing and if it's as good as it looks - it should blow the s4 out of the water. That said, it's more expensive and... SERATO. They may have prettied up Itch and renamed it, but it's still very much Serato's red-headed stepchild; they don't seem to put nearly the fit and finish into it as they do with SSL, and SSL is lacking at that. Or you could save yourself rebuying and go external already

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fitzyp View Post
    Only referring to the hardware. It wasn't Traktor Vs Serato he was asking. The new technology has better ways to manipulate both softwares. This thread IMO is like a Iphone 2 vs Iphone5, which is better?
    Indeed, I understand its not a Traktor v serato discussion, I think we're sort of in agreement but at different angles. I'm just suggesting that the both sets of hardware can suitably manipulate the latest software with the end result being the same, the implementation may differ and be slicker I agree. I wouldn't use ip2 and ip5 as comparison though, that's mainly down to processing etc, which is taken care of via laptop in the djing controller instance we're taking about here.

Have gd wend all.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Tech Student

only problem i have had with my S4 is that a drunk patron spilt beer on my volume faders...... Broke the rules and broke my controller..... if the volume faders are easy to replace on the Pioneer then i might give it a try.... Although the effects that Itch had were junk and I have yet to see a video of the new Serato Dj effects..... Traktors effects arent great but you have options..... I also use a MF3D and F1 and i cant complain.... i just wish the S4 was easier to clean and customize....

Tech Wizard

I would definitely go for the Pioneer, it is newer technology, it has some really neat features like the slicer and the touchpads, and ofcourse, it is made by Pioneer so it got to be really good
    My Latest Mix | https://soundcloud.com/limbou
    Be sure to follow me on Soundcloud I'll follow back!

here is what you do

place them both at one end of a room
    you walk to the opposite end of the room

and say "Here midi midi midi, come here little midi midi"

Which ever one comes to you, is the one you buy

the other one, can go back to the pound

I haven't used the S4 as extensively, but I've dicked around with it in GC. And IMHO, the DDJ-SX is better, so long as you don't want to use it with DVS.

But I also prefer Serato software, so that helps. Mostly, the difference is in the platters…they feel better than just about any "platter" out there that isn't a record.

Quote Originally Posted by antifmradio View Post
    here is what you do

place them both at one end of a room
    you walk to the opposite end of the room

and say "Here midi midi midi, come here little midi midi"

Which ever one comes to you, is the one you buy

the other one, can go back to the pound
    Im definitely gonna go try this out

Tech Mentor

Here's the scoop:

Hardware-wise, the new pioneer SX blows the S4 out of the water, as long as you don't care about timecode. I am so jealous of this controller.

Software-wise, Traktor blows Serato DJ out of the water (personal preferences aside). If Traktor supported the DDJ-SX natively, I would already own one.

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    Software-wise, Traktor blows Serato DJ out of the water (personal preferences aside).
    That depends on a lot more than just preference. If what you're doing is closer to traditional turntable DJing–the way the vast majority of people play–then there isn't that much of a difference between them other than aesthetics.

But Serato software does have some advantages, mostly in terms of library management. And it's automatic tempo detection is better IME, if you're into that thing.

It's definitely not as clear-cut as "Traktor is better".

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    That depends on a lot more than just preference. If what you're doing is closer to traditional turntable DJing–the way the vast majority of people play–then there isn't that much of a difference between them other than aesthetics.

But Serato software does have some advantages, mostly in terms of library management. And it's automatic tempo detection is better IME, if you're into that thing.

It's definitely not as clear-cut as "Traktor is better".
    Traktor can do everything SDJ can and much more.
    In my book, that's cut and dry "better."

If one don't use all those features (you're right - most dont), that's their prerogative, but Traktor is a more advanced piece of software.

No one should ever rely on auto tempo detect on either software, although I've had great experience with Traktor's engine. But until they get it 100% right every time, it's really useless as anything other than a guide. I can't say I've looked much into Serato library management, but I've never really needed to do anything other than set up a library and make playlists.
    Last edited by sss18734; 12-30-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast