Xone 42 - 2 phono, what interface? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Agreed, a Xone 42 is a waste of money if you're only going to use two channels. If you think you might want to use the remix/sample decks in Traktor you'll need at least an A8, plus there's the preview player that would need a channel as well if you want to use it.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by OmniRoss View Post
    You don't use a channel of the mixer to record from, you use the rec out of the mixer and an input of your sound card to record to Traktor with.

Also, if you have a 4 channel mixer, you're going to want to be able to utilise all those channels if you want to. Because if not, you may as well get a really nice two channel mixer with a Traktor soundcard built in as the other two are just sat redundant...

No worries!
    Can't I just use the other two (Line/Line) channels as straight audio sources, totally bypassing Traktor? I only conceivably need 2x DVS inputs, really... I hardly ever 3/4 deck DJ. Surely I could just use 2 digital-Traktor sources at once, and then use the other 2 spare channels for direct CD-J/converted TT inputs? Please correct me if I'm wrong - you undoubtedly know more than me on the matter

I am sort of on a tight budget at the moment as I have to service one of my 1210's rather unexpectedly... I do see your point about future-proofing and it being nice to have 4 channels for Traktor and others spare, etc., but at the moment I'm really budgeting for stuff that I will definitely make use of.

Quote Originally Posted by afxz View Post
    Can't I just use the other two (Line/Line) channels as straight audio sources, totally bypassing Traktor? I only conceivably need 2x DVS inputs, really... I hardly ever 3/4 deck DJ. Surely I could just use 2 digital-Traktor sources at once, and then use the other 2 spare channels for direct CD-J/converted TT inputs? Please correct me if I'm wrong - you undoubtedly know more than me on the matter

I am sort of on a tight budget at the moment as I have to service one of my 1210's rather unexpectedly... I do see your point about future-proofing and it being nice to have 4 channels for Traktor and others spare, etc., but at the moment I'm really budgeting for stuff that I will definitely make use of.
    It seems as if you're in a rush to buy... Why so urgent? Yes, you can of course use the other two inputs for other line level sources.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Mentor

Aha, I'm not in a rush to buy... although this month would be nice I'm more just seriously confused! It was so much simpler with the S4... aha.

So in terms of Traktor use, what does the Audio 8 give over the 6? Could I use all 4 Traktor decks / all 4 channels on my Xone 42 using only 2 input/control sources? I remember for a while I was flipping 2 decks in Traktor using only 1x turntable, simply by turning over the control vinyl, which would trigger an in-software 'focus' change to the other deck. Basically, could I practically get a real benefit out of taking the 8 over the 6, now, with only 2 turntables? I'm not in a rush to buy but I'm not going to be dropping cash on some CD-J's anytime soon...

One thing I do want in the next few months however is a K2 FX unit. How would this work w/r/t the Audio 6 versus 8 situation? Thank Christ for this forum... detangling this using NI's documentation is a nightmare!

Aha, I'm not in a rush to buy... although this month would be nice I'm more just seriously confused! It was so much simpler with the S4... aha.

So in terms of Traktor use, what does the Audio 8 give over the 6? Could I use all 4 Traktor decks / all 4 channels on my Xone 42 using only 2 input/control sources? I remember for a while I was flipping 2 decks in Traktor using only 1x turntable, simply by turning over the control vinyl, which would trigger an in-software 'focus' change to the other deck. Basically, could I practically get a real benefit out of taking the 8 over the 6, now, with only 2 turntables? I'm not in a rush to buy but I'm not going to be dropping cash on some CD-J's anytime soon...

One thing I do want in the next few months however is a K2 FX unit. How would this work w/r/t the Audio 6 versus 8 situation? Thank Christ for this forum... detangling this using NI's documentation is a nightmare!
    4 decks would be ideal for use with a K2. If you look around, you'll get an Audio 8 for less than an Audio 6. Audio 6 I think is £235 and the Audio 8 is about £200 used. That's how much I got mine for anyway. Plus, you then get more connectivity options with the A8 for less money... No brainer really.

Yeah, you could use 1 deck over 2 decks, why you'd want to though...
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Mentor

Well my thinking at the moment is that I only have 2xTT's and would just like a simple and cost-effective DVS solution to get them working. I picked up a 4-channel mixer now because, well, sound-cards are fairly inexpensive, whereas a mixer is a real investment that you want futureproofed. Sure, I may only be using 2 channels on my Xone 42 for now, but the possibility of adding 2xCD-J's or whatnot in the future makes it a wise investment (imo).

w/r/t/ Traktor... I figured getting an Audio 6 would be fine, because - honestly - I never used the other 2 Sample/track/FX decks in Traktor when I had my S4. Most of the time I didn't even have the software UI set up to display all 4 decks. I figured I could save money and get an Audio 6, and then rely on 2x DVS audio sources (i.e. my turntables), and then have room in the future for 2x Line/CD-J's, if I want to branch out to mixing with 3/4 channels. Now this thread has made all that seem like a silly plan! Haha.

Just a quick note re: the 42's USB in/out. You don't get to pick which channel you want to record/output to -one stereo in/one stereo out. If you want to use the 42 as a one channel interface to play audio with then plug it into one of your usb ports, select it as the default output as was said, but there's only one channel to pick from. Also press the mic/usb button on the mic/usb section of the 42 to enable that channel (operated by these knobs in that section, NOT one of the 4 main channels).
    If you want to record your mixes through it then wire your record out or booth out to the usb record in, usb to your computer, and record from the one input you get from the interface. You could wire the fx send to the usb record in, and the usb out to the fx return and setup the xone's interface for use in a third party program for send/return fx, but you might as well do that with one of the Audio6/8/10 extra channels.
    Can't fiddle with it much to be more precise - I think the usb part in mine is toast. Why don't I care? Well, I have an Audio 8...

You could switch timecode control from one deck over to any of the four decks if you wanted, but that's just messy. 2 for 2 would be easier to manage. However if you want to use four discrete outputs on the mixer then you need an interface with at least four stereo channels, so A8/10 it is (unless you want to go with mono splitters but that's just yucky).

And as for the K2, it's a controller. Doesn't matter what your audio interface is. It's got one built-in as well but if you're getting one of NI's big boxes then you won't care much.

Just get the Audio 8, is the moral here!

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/na...8-dj/112372128

Just so cheap, you'd probably need to buy timecodes.

Tech Mentor

Yes, but what I'm trying to say is... the extra 4-deck/4-input functionality of an A8: what benefit will it give me for as long as I have 2x 1210s and a 42? I have no means to control or assign tracks/loops to C/D or sample/loop decks; I don't have any MIDI controller functionality. Are you guys saying you basically use these with your laptop-mouse, for lack of any gear? Just trying to figure out how you'd actually use the benefits of an A8 when you only have 2xTT's and a mixer.

Yes, but what I'm trying to say is... the extra 4-deck/4-input functionality of an A8: what benefit will it give me for as long as I have 2x 1210s and a 42? I have no means to control or assign tracks/loops to C/D or sample/loop decks; I don't have any MIDI controller functionality. Are you guys saying you basically use these with your laptop-mouse, for lack of any gear? Just trying to figure out how you'd actually use the benefits of an A8 when you only have 2xTT's and a mixer.
    I actually do use my keyboard to just fire off vocal or one shot samples, haha. But, like you I mainly only use 2 x TTs and a mixer. What I'm saying is, if you're not going to use two of the channels, you may as well get a good two channel mixer... Then you'd have some money left over for a K2.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast