Xone 42 - 2 phono, what interface? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Hmm, yeah, you make very sound points! Thanks again... sorry if I seemed obstinate, just wanted to be perfectly clear! Have read so much these last few weeks, serious gear lust, just wanting to get it all straightened out!

Haha, it's alright.

Pioneer DJM T1
    Pioneer DJM 400
    Pioneer DJM 250

Xone 22
    Xone 32 - 3 channels.

Rane TTM56

If you want to stick with the big boy brands.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Mentor

The 42 is on my desk right now As are 2 M3D's. It's just stepping up to DVS that I'm unsure about, because of all the different options!

Tech Mentor

Another quick question...

Anyone familiar with the Xone faceplate designs? Unsure whether mine is the 'older' version or the newer-updated one. Mine is the one with the Allen & Heath nametag across the top-centre, with a black background behind the FX send section. Most others pictured on Google Images have a single-colour faceplate and the A&H nametag in the top-right corner above the Master Vol. Any ideas?

The new ones have a dark metallic gray faceplate with black accents and white type, the old ones had that bright aluminium/inox color with red type. The faceplate is reportedly the only change in the xone range refresh so I wouldn't worry about it (if only that they look so much cooler now imho !).

As for how to take advantage of dvs and two extra channels on the xone - I have an X1 (also tried a dicer).
    In fact, I have two but I only use one now, shift buttons do the loop cloning to C/D that I like to play with. Much more fun to me than using two X1s, three or four decks most of the time and syncing everything.
    At gigs I don't have the opportunity for C/D, playing b2b most of the time. In that situation the 42 has actually been used a couple times with friends plugging into the extra two channels.
    The rest of the time it's been on the venue's mixer, if it has four channels I just leave the cdjs plugged into these two channels as a backup or if I don't want to bring the laptop and just play straight vinyl+some of my digital files on usb sticks or cds. I frequently don't have room for even adding the x1, hence trying the dicer (led feedback is not easy to get working right/reliably so I gave up).
    Last edited by bumtsch; 11-07-2012 at 01:41 AM.

Tech Mentor

Thanks a lot bumtsch. I think I prefer my newer faceplate too - I knew it was only cosmetic

Question for other 42 owners about the phono pre-amps... how do you find it with the gain/trim? Mine is quite quiet! Even at max trim I only seem to get +6dB out of the master volume. At 0dB / 12 o' clock trim I find my Phono pre-amps only give about -6dB master output. Does anyone else find this with the 42? Guess it's a good time to purchase some external pre-amps?

Further to this... my old crappy Stanton cartridge manages to hit the +10 red levels with max Trim. The Ortofon Nightclub-S's seem to be about ~4dB quieter. Is this normal?

You'd have to check the specs on your Stantons, maybe they have a higher voltage output than your Concordes which are already quite loud (basic CCs are 5-6mV, CC Nightclubs mk2 are 8mv, Shure M44 are 9.5mV for comparison's sake).
    That being said I've used my quiet concordes on a few 92 mixers and I definitely remember having to increase the gain a bit more there too. I've used them on some Pioneers too but I can't say I really paid much attention to that...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by bumtsch View Post
    You'd have to check the specs on your Stantons, maybe they have a higher voltage output than your Concordes which are already quite loud (basic CCs are 5-6mV, CC Nightclubs mk2 are 8mv, Shure M44 are 9.5mV for comparison's sake).
    That being said I've used my quiet concordes on a few 92 mixers and I definitely remember having to increase the gain a bit more there too. I've used them on some Pioneers too but I can't say I really paid much attention to that...
    The Stanton outputs at "4.6 mV per channel at 1 kHz", which I'm guessing means a total of 9.2mV? The Ortofon Nightclub S (first gen) outputs at 6mV. Doesn't say in the documentation whether that's 'per channel' or total. Unsure. But yeah, they are quite quiet compared to Line/USB audio inputs! Luckily phono pre-amps are quite cheap.

Tech Mentor

Another question... this thread has been an enduring help - thanks!

How would I connect the Audio 8 to a spare channel on my Xone 42 for monitoring/preview? I see that Traktor has an 'Output Preview' option. What sort of cables connect the card out to the mixer in? Is it just a plain ordinary RCA cable? And would that work just off the bat?

& also, how does the Xone 42's 'Filter send' work? I have an 'XFX To Filter' button - does this channel that Dry/Wet filter nob into a pre-assigned Traktor effect? Or am I disastrously wrong, here?

Quote Originally Posted by afxz View Post
    Another question... this thread has been an enduring help - thanks!

How would I connect the Audio 8 to a spare channel on my Xone 42 for monitoring/preview? I see that Traktor has an 'Output Preview' option. What sort of cables connect the card out to the mixer in? Is it just a plain ordinary RCA cable? And would that work just off the bat?

& also, how does the Xone 42's 'Filter send' work? I have an 'XFX To Filter' button - does this channel that Dry/Wet filter nob into a pre-assigned Traktor effect? Or am I disastrously wrong, here?
    Yeah, it's just an RCA cable.

XFX if I'm not wrong is just assigning the filter to the crossfader? I could be wrong of course...
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast