How important is music schooling? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You don't need to go to music school to learn music production. There are tons of free lessons on Youtube. But if you are going to make some melodic stuff you need to learn music theory (at least some basic stuff), and learning piano by watching youtube videos is pretty hard. So it will be better if you go to music school to learn piano, not music production.

Tech Convert

Pursuing success in music production takes a lot of motivation but it needs to be for the right reason. If you are in it to get rich/fame quick then you should reconsider or at least think long and hard at what it will take; unless you are already extremely knowledgeable in music theory and spend every waking hour dedicated to producing, not to mention have the money it takes, you are looking at years before you have production value worth releasing. I started little under a year ago and made the dive blind but I have been extremely motivated and passionate about it not because someday I want to be famous but because I find pride in creating something from nothing. Anyways, I'm not judging at all I just want to make it clear that it takes dedication!

Some of the best sources of information I have found are youtube tutorials, soundonsound articles (great for the basics of synthesis and background knowledge), and the KVRForums (although slightly pretentious), as well as any reading material I can get my hands on. I spend on average about 2-3 hours reading about production techniques, music theory, sound design, etc. (at work of course) and spend anywhere from 2-6 hours a night (during the work week) fiddling in Ableton.

One of the biggest tips I can give you is to expand your music boundaries. Start listening to different genres which will open the doors to new drum patterns, basslines, synthwork. Over-analyze every instrument and drum hit throughout the song and how it changes. You can learn more from breaking down other peoples music than by sitting around program stuff in, in my opinion. I started out trying to make simple 4-4 house drum beats but I really learned more when I started listening to some FutureBeat/UK garage which has a whole new soundscape and usually more intricate patterns.

But yeah, this turned into a rant. Overall the goal is to have fun, make something you are proud of, and put a little piece of you into the music. From my experiences schooling isn't necessary, everything is available online but I'm sure schooling wouldn't be a bad thing.

Maybe a rant but probably some of the best advice Ive heard... probably cause you remind me of myself and have the same thoughts ideas. +1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12