How important is music schooling?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default How important is music schooling?

Hi guys,

i have just started off reading Ableton 8. The first time i read it i dint understand it much. the 2nd go was much better. Though as i read ahead i just get more complicated. Like stuff bout the instrument rack and drum racks etc...

My friend is going to music school but i cant really afford it. I wana be something really big, like everyone else out here. Something like a Tiesto or Armin...but i really don't know if i'm on the right path. i started off with Ableton, even though i know Fl studio is generally meant and preferred by most beginners. Will i require actual music schooling to become something that big?? Or is it possible to be something by just reading up manuals and watching tutorials over the net?? Does it really work in out there?? Need some serious ass motivation because i'm really starting to doubt myself with this whole thing.

Cheers

You're trying to do art for money instead of doing it for the sake of art, schooling might help you understand that

Are you a musician?

If you're just having trouble using Live, that's one thing. You might check out DubSpot or the like if you need some help through it. They had a promo called 30/30, which was a 30-day course to complement the 30-day trial that looked to be sweet for beginners.

If you need to learn some about music, I would hit the books and seek some general music instruction as well.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sagar4848 View Post
    Hi guys,

i have just started off reading Ableton 8. The first time i read it i dint understand it much. the 2nd go was much better. Though as i read ahead i just get more complicated. Like stuff bout the instrument rack and drum racks etc...

My friend is going to music school but i cant really afford it. I wana be something really big, like everyone else out here. Something like a Tiesto or Armin...but i really don't know if i'm on the right path. i started off with Ableton, even though i know Fl studio is generally meant and preferred by most beginners. Will i require actual music schooling to become something that big?? Or is it possible to be something by just reading up manuals and watching tutorials over the net?? Does it really work in out there?? Need some serious ass motivation because i'm really starting to doubt myself with this whole thing.

Cheers
    I think you should re-think your motivation to make music like elliot said. Take it slow, do it for fun, set small achievable goals for yourself and see how you go. If you aim to be Teisto you will probably burn out and hate yourself and to be honest the last thing we need is another artist trying to be another big pop trance artist. And learning how to use Abelton itself won't give you talent either.

To become a good musician or producer I don't think you need schooling, although it could definitely help. I think the best musicians are usually the ones that enjoyed/studied lots of different styles of music and found their OWN sound.

Set yourself a goal every week to learn a new part of Ableton, learn it inside out then choose another part of it. Watch some youtube vid's and just mess around with it.

When you're not on Ableton listen to ton's of music and try not to be narrow minded you will be surprised with what you like and where you can draw inspiration from.

Study some light musical theory not so much scales and all that stuff but more tonality contrast and other musical elements, this helps you understand and appreciate musical concepts and helps you create your own.

My couple of cents, good luck
    Last edited by LoopCat; 11-01-2012 at 07:50 AM.

Tech Mentor

@Loopcat Thanx a lot! Yes i shall definitely reconsider my goals. I know that i love music and feel it from inside but it's a different thing to make your own sounds. Ill take it slow and do it. This definitely helped.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

You're trying to do art for money instead of doing it for the sake of art, schooling might help you understand that
    Actually I disagree, a good music school will also teach you how to financially capitalize on your talents, teach you howmeet the right people and in general teach you about the "business" of music quite apart from the music theory element which of course is definitely worthwhile IMHO

However - it all starts with raw talent, which you either have or you don't. If you don't have any talent, but can master the other necessary skills involved in the industry you'll probably still be a success.

Quote Originally Posted by LoopCat View Post
    I think you should re-think your motivation to make music like elliot said. Take it slow, do it for fun, set small achievable goals for yourself and see how you go. If you aim to be Teisto you will probably burn out and hate yourself and to be honest the last thing we need is another artist trying to be another big pop trance artist. And learning how to use Abelton itself won't give you talent either.

To become a good musician or producer I don't think you need schooling, although it could definitely help. I think the best musicians are usually the ones that enjoyed/studied lots of different styles of music and found their OWN sound.

Set yourself a goal every week to learn a new part of Ableton, learn it inside out then choose another part of it. Watch some youtube vid's and just mess around with it.

When you're not on Ableton listen to ton's of music and try not to be narrow minded you will be surprised with what you like and where you can draw inspiration from.

Study some light musical theory not so much scales and all that stuff but more tonality contrast and other musical elements, this helps you understand and appreciate musical concepts and helps you create your own.

My couple of cents, good luck
    this, absolutely

The production process is very slow, especially in the beginning with Ableton. Whereas music school might help, i have no idea, i do know its not 100% necessary. Youtube is your best friend ever. There is a ton of material on there for learning to use Live.

Tech Mentor

Music Sheet.jpg

Music school is not needed but helpful. A passion and drive to progress in music production is a must. I enclosed a pic that I made that helped me out learn Music 101. Youtube Music 101 and i'm sure you will find tons of stuff to watch. As far as Ableton goes. It's a pretty easy system to learn. It just looks though cause it looks semi plain looking but it's what under the hood that matters. I know FL looks cute cause it GUI is a lil flashy for my taste.

When making electronic music. Start off learning the basics. Create a 4 on the floor beat. Add a baseline and play with that. Then add in anything else you want.

Grab some VSTs. NI makes a great set that can help start you off. Maybe even grab a old version of Komplete. My favs from the series is Massive, FM8, and Razor

Tech Student

I've been stumbling my way through Ableton as well, I put it like this: learning all the tools in Ableton is like learning different strum patterns or chords on a guitar. You can take lessons which will help you understand things quicker/easier but IMHO, there's nothing like figuring things out for yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast