Starter USB Vinyl Setup-Recommendations?

Default Starter USB Vinyl Setup-Recommendations?

I'm starting out and I'm looking to DJ using vinyl, but all my music is wavs or mp3s on my computer. Is there a way where I can use vinyl with USB material on it, or something similar? (Forgive me for sounding so clueless haha, I'm only starting out)

Get yourself an analog mixer and an external soundcard like the Audio 6 or Rane SL1 and some old (direct drive) turntables. I guess the Stanton's ST.150 or the numark TTX's are good for a beginner. With this setup you control the software (traktor or serato) with your vinyl's (wich are included in the package). A little external controller like the NI x1 or denon HC-1000 is suggested for extra control like cue-points, loops, software effects,....

Good luck
    DJM-750 | 2 x Technics 1200 | Audio 10 | Midifighter Classic | Midifighter Twister | Kontrol X1|  MBP 13"

Quote Originally Posted by VincentCools View Post
    Get yourself an analog mixer and an external soundcard like the Audio 6 or Rane SL1 and some old (direct drive) turntables. I guess the Stanton's ST.150 or the numark TTX's are good for a beginner. With this setup you control the software (traktor or serato) with your vinyl's (wich are included in the package). A little external controller like the NI x1 or denon HC-1000 is suggested for extra control like cue-points, loops, software effects,....

Good luck
    So will I have to use a laptop, I wouldn't be able to put all my music on a USB stick or anything?

Tech Mentor

No. You could play mp3's off a cd deck without needing a PC, or off a controller like the Pioneer XDJ Aero without a PC, but not with vinyl. To do that, you will need a PC to run Traktor or Serato, or whatever DVS (Digital Vinyl System) software you wish.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Tech Wizard

I don't get why almost all people i have seen in here suggest only Traktor or Serato boxes.

A cheap setup would 2x Reloop RP-2000 mk3's and a Reloop RMX-20 BlackFire Edition, and then an American Audio Versaport soundcard.
    Then just hook it to to VirtualDJ Pro, and you're ready to go.
    Of course you need a couple of timecode vinyls, but that's not so expensive to buy.

Tech Mentor

Not that cheap. VirtualDJ Pro is £300 for just the software. Traktor Scratch with Audio 6 soundcard is only £235. So your already saving £65 and not having to buy a cheap soundcard and timecoded vinyl / cd's.

Traktor is suggested because it is a relatively cheap solution. What your suggesting comes to £830 (£150 per TT, £150 mixer, £50 soundcard, £300 software, and around £30 for Timecoded vinyl).

On the other hand, you could probably pick up a pair of second hand Technics 1200/1210's with a mixer for around £500-£600, and new TS (Traktor Scratch) for £235. So roughly the same price, except you will have what are generally considered the best turntables on the market, they wont loose value, as they will always be worth what you pay. Only depreciating asset there is the soundcard, and that will always be worth something to someone also. Ok, you may not necessarily get the mixer you want in the deal, but it will get you started while you decide on what mixer to go for next.

To be perfectly honest, there isn't really a much cheaper option than that.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Tech Wizard

Well, then he could use Mixxx, which is free ;-)

I would reccommend looking into getting a serato timecode vinyl setuprane-serato-diagram.jpg
    CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Check out my Mixes : Soundcloud

First play with the software and watch some video's about it. Then decide which suits you the most
    DJM-750 | 2 x Technics 1200 | Audio 10 | Midifighter Classic | Midifighter Twister | Kontrol X1|  MBP 13"

^this
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.