Subwoofers.

Thread: Subwoofers.

Default Subwoofers.

Right guys/Girls.

Despite the title, im not looking to pimp a peugeot 106 into a chavmobile and terrorise the local OAP's with it!

I do need however some recommendation's on adding a sub/bass bin to my sound setup. Ive currently got an 800w Amp, with two 400w speakers. This provides plenty of volume, but definitely lacks some bass punch.

Now, Im not entirely sure of what the implications for my amp are, if i add a woofer.

Do i need a bigger amp/can i just bridge it in etc Ive made the mistake in the past of just buying gear before properly understanding what i need out of it/with it and its just cost me more money!

full_n89fn-2.jpg

Attached pic is the back of the amp i have.

Any Suggestions?

Tech Mentor

You'll want a dedicated subwoofer amp... Either passive or active.

Hokay, Cheers sss18734.

Im running an S4 into the back of my Amp via the Jacks. Will i just have to route the Sub via the speakers (or speakers via the sub sorry) or get some sort of splitter for the S4 to run into the back of the Subwoofer amp as well?

Tech Convert

For most instances, you would need another amp to handle the subs, and also some sort of a crossover (such as this cheap and cheerful offering from Behringer (much nicer, more expensive versions are available).

http://www.djkit.com/behringer/behri...0.html?cat=494

The idea is to split the signal coming from your mixer by using the crossover unit, to send the low frequencies to the sub amp and the highs to the tops amp. This allows the tops to work more efficiently without having to take care of the power sapping low frequencies, and lets the subs take care of the low end.

Without the crossover, you will likely end up with the tops and the subs both trying to reproduce the same band of frequencies in the low mids, which is a recipe for a horrible muddy mess.

Tech Mentor

Depending on time/budget, building your own might not be a bad idea. Check out bill fitz maurice, they have some awesome plans for different subs.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DubluW View Post
    Hokay, Cheers sss18734.

Im running an S4 into the back of my Amp via the Jacks. Will i just have to route the Sub via the speakers (or speakers via the sub sorry) or get some sort of splitter for the S4 to run into the back of the Subwoofer amp as well?
    The easiest and probably cheapest solution would be to get an active sub that has a low pass filter. As kind of a workaround to using a dedicated crossover, you can EQ the bass down a bit and increase the gain on your sub.

In this case, a cheap splitter would do the trick. Although ideally you do want that crossover, which will have separate outputs for each individual speaker.

Right, so a crossover, amp for the woofer and obviously a woofer?

we use a 600w B&W active sub. plug it into the booth out and you are set.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "