retina macbooks- 13" or 15"?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default retina macbooks- 13" or 15"?

I'm in the market for a new macbook. i know most people arent really on board with the retina macbooks, but i kind of want one (pure gearlust). the question is, should i get the 13" or 15"? they are roughly the same price with a student discount. the 15" seems too...big, but it has a discreet graphics card and the ssd space i need. the 13" seems to be a better size for me, but it lacks the quad core processor. would the processor even make a difference? i mostly want this for traktor/ableton and some basic photoshop work. any suggestions?

Tech Wizard

if I were you, I would definitely go for the Retina 15 inch if the price is not that different. Quad-Core will be a big advantage and its i7 compared to the 13 which is i5. Discrete graphics will also make ur photoshop much faster. As of the CPU, I don't think you would really need the quad-core for Traktor but as of Ableton, I would recommend you the Quad-Core if you're using it for production or even Live performance/DJing. I myself went to the classic MBP 15 2012 with the antiglare instead, the retina 15 inch should be no problem for you to lug around imo.
    *Inactive Account*

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by B4YU View Post
    if I were you, I would definitely go for the Retina 15 inch if the price is not that different. Quad-Core will be a big advantage and its i7 compared to the 13 which is i5. Discrete graphics will also make ur photoshop much faster. As of the CPU, I don't think you would really need the quad-core for Traktor but as of Ableton, I would recommend you the Quad-Core if you're using it for production or even Live performance/DJing. I myself went to the classic MBP 15 2012 with the antiglare instead, the retina 15 inch should be no problem for you to lug around imo.
    The good news is apple made this choice a no-brainer - the 15.

If you make ONE upgrade to the 13 retina (like say HD from 128 to 256 (+$200)) You are within $200 from the 15 in which case you get --

Quad core instead of dual core
    256 storage instead of 128
    Dedicated graphics card with 1gb memory instead of Integrated Graphics.
    Bigger Screen (This probably doesnt matter)

Anyway I held off on getting a macbook for months waiting for the 13 retina. Was extremley dissapointed. Ended up getting the 15 inch retina just had it delivered but I am still in sticker shock. ($2000 WITH my friends Apple discount after all is said and done).

I may return it and get an old 13" and upgrade HD to SSD and get more RAM. Something to think about - I think I made a mistake.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by tricks View Post
    Anyway I held off on getting a macbook for months waiting for the 13 retina. Was extremley dissapointed. Ended up getting the 15 inch retina just had it delivered but I am still in sticker shock. ($2000 WITH my friends Apple discount after all is said and done).

I may return it and get an old 13" and upgrade HD to SSD and get more RAM. Something to think about - I think I made a mistake.
    If you don't need the CD drive, might as well double up the SSD and put them both in RAID 0 for extremely fast speed (if one drive fails though, the whole thing fails). Anyways, why didn't you stick with the 15 retina? portability issues? CD Drive? Firewire?
    *Inactive Account*

Tech Wizard

I spend 8+ hours a day on the computer at work and realized I dont do much at home besides web browsing and fooling around with Traktor here or there for an hour or two. Spending the $2k + was overkill for me. Instead I am getting a base 13 inch and upgrading to aftermarket ram 8gb and a 256 ssd. I will save about a grand and I think it will be perfect for my needs.

Reason #2 is that the retina is a first-gen product which are usually 1. Expensive and 2. Buggy. Just going to go with the above for a couple years and then get a retina when it is affordable and all the kinks are worked out.

Cheers!
    trick

I would go for the max-spec big rMBP. ...I did go for the max-spec big rMBP.

Just a terribly dumb question of somebody who bought his multicore laptop 5 years ago; With my Core Duo (@2,66Ghz) I run into max processor issues if I load Massive in Maschine. Do the new multicore processors spread the load or is Maschine/Traktor etc still only using one processor core?
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

Quote Originally Posted by boarderbas View Post
    Just a terribly dumb question of somebody who bought his multicore laptop 5 years ago; With my Core Duo (@2,66Ghz) I run into max processor issues if I load Massive in Maschine. Do the new multicore processors spread the load or is Maschine/Traktor etc still only using one processor core?
    Maschine, in standalone mode doesn't have multicore support as of yet. The VST works fine in hosts that use multiple cores.

I was just really surprised how fast I ran out of juice making a beat....

Well, thats life...
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

Quote Originally Posted by boarderbas View Post
    I was just really surprised how fast I ran out of juice making a beat....

Well, thats life...
    huh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast