First Gig tips?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Gig tips?

Tech Mentor

Default First Gig tips?

I'm Djing at my friends party on the 17th and I have been DJing for a Year and belive I am quite good (Check out my youtube in signiture if you want) I just wanted to know if there are any tips i should know before the party

BTW I have prepared a 3 hour mix to play live at the party
    Numark mixtrack - Numark DJ IO Sound card - Akai lpd8 - Traktor pro 2 - Senheiser HD205

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Havik View Post
    I have prepared a 3 hour mix to play live at the party
    *whistle*
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

defo enjoy it and dont put too much pressure on yourself its a friends party after all so dont worry too much if u make a mistake or two

Tech Mentor

Thats sound like great advice, Thanks Man
    Numark mixtrack - Numark DJ IO Sound card - Akai lpd8 - Traktor pro 2 - Senheiser HD205

Tech Mentor

When you say you prepared a 3 hour mix, do you mean you prerecorded a 3 hour mix that you plan on playing or that you have practiced mixing the same set over and over again that is 3 hours long and you plan on mixing that again? In all honesty, and IMO anything more than having a playlist of music you want to play is TOOOO much preparation. Any experienced DJ will tell you that planning every single aspect of your mix takes the fun out of the entire Dj experience because unless you are practicing the same 3 hour mix to eventually record it, your mix should never sound the same way twice. Plus when you are DJing most events and especially at a friends party, you will get requests and you will get a lot of pissed off people if you don't play their requests. You have to remember, you are there for the them, they are not there for you, don't get caught up in your own agenda that you have to play this song after that song because thats the way you practiced it. A good DJ needs to play for the crowd and to be able to adapt. You may have a 3 hour deep house set and they want to hear gangnam style, now what are you going to do? Tell them that you can't play it because thats not how your practiced 3 hour set is supposed to be?

Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    When you say you prepared a 3 hour mix, do you mean you prerecorded a 3 hour mix that you plan on playing or that you have practiced mixing the same set over and over again that is 3 hours long and you plan on mixing that again? In all honesty, and IMO anything more than having a playlist of music you want to play is TOOOO much preparation. Any experienced DJ will tell you that planning every single aspect of your mix takes the fun out of the entire Dj experience because unless you are practicing the same 3 hour mix to eventually record it, your mix should never sound the same way twice. Plus when you are DJing most events and especially at a friends party, you will get requests and you will get a lot of pissed off people if you don't play their requests. You have to remember, you are there for the them, they are not there for you, don't get caught up in your own agenda that you have to play this song after that song because thats the way you practiced it. A good DJ needs to play for the crowd and to be able to adapt. You may have a 3 hour deep house set and they want to hear gangnam style, now what are you going to do? Tell them that you can't play it because thats not how your practiced 3 hour set is supposed to be?
    turn off the music and leave?

on a serious note tho, this advice is spot on, don't have a planned set, u should no what tracks work well together and what tunes work well early etc but u need to be very flexible.

Dont worry too much if u havent played a track with another before, just have a listen in ya headphones and see if they work etc just use your mixing skills and have fun, its much more fun pulling off a mix live that u havent done before than mixing two tracks u did 50 times in ya bedroom.

Tech Mentor

IMO anything more than having a playlist of music you want to play is TOOOO much preparation.
    Definitely not. Having your loops, cues, beatgrids, markers, and comments set up on your main tracks can really take your mix to the next level and only improves your ability to be spontaneous.

Tech Mentor

I feel more comfortable playing a prepared mix so I know what song I should play next. I haven't recorded the mix I plan on mixing live.

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Havik View Post
    I feel more comfortable playing a prepared mix so I know what song I should play next. I haven't recorded the mix I plan on mixing live.
    If its a friends party I wouldn't worry all that much just try to relax and enjoy it, if you make a mistake and everyone looks at you, smile, laugh and give yourself a clap then get back to business. At a party ppl will generally just laugh along with you!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast