Presonus Firebox problem.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Default Presonus Firebox problem.

So ive got a problem with my Presonus Firebox.
    I havent actually looked into this im just throwing it out there to see if one of you guys can shed some light.

On friday i set up for my gig in the same way but the Firebox wasnt recognised by Traktor and the usual Blue light was flashing a very dim red then blue.
    I faffed about trying to get it to work and after 10mins thought feck it ill just drive home and get my Audio 8 but suddenly the blue light of loveliness came on it worked thru the whole 4 hours.

Ive just plugged it in again and the dim flash of death suggesting no external sync is there again but this time with no sign of recovery.

Gonna do a forum/web search when i get back home in a while but in the meantime , anyone any ideas. The red "sync not present" light doesnt come on even when its powered externally so is it the adapter?

Or could it be the Mac not syncing to the Firebox. Id still expect the red light to appear when it isnt connected to the Mac if it is mains powered (right?)
    (be good if someone could confirm the above) Then ill just try another adapter.

If the Firebox is on its way out then "oh well" , its done 4 nites a week for 3 years and is thrown in my gig bag with no protection no complaints ill just get another but id rather spend the money on crisps and sweets and beer and music.

Karlos
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 07-12-2009 at 10:12 AM.

Tried a new fireware cable ?
    Could also be a power issue, might wanna try another power adapter if another firewire cable causes issues.

Tech Guru

I had a Firebox and found it very unreliable. Sometimes it would work for days solid and then it would lose sync and a full restart was necessary to make it work again. I decided to sell it and upgraded & bought an Audio 8 Dj.

Presonus has shitte Mac drivers IMOP.
    VCI-100 Black SE/ FW 1.3 / VCI-300
    Traktor Pro 1.1.2 / Serato Itch / SL3 / Ableton Live 7
    Korg NanoKontrol / KRK V4's
    NI Audio 8 Dj / Pioneer DJM-600
    Macbook 13"/ 2ghz

Hmm, the Firebox just came to life and after a few disconnects and reconnects it seems fine now.
    Tested the FireWire cable, thats fine and used also used a different one.
    Gonna use my mates Firebox cable adapter to see if its that.

Oddly enough though now my Audio 8 isnt being recognised ?

These things are sent to try us eh.

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Yeah i would blame the power adapter based on what you described.

@Claudek - Maybe your firebox was faulty? I have never had any issue with my firebox except for when I used it on a PC with a shitty 4 pin firewire connecter, have done hundereds of hours on my mac with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by midifidler View Post
    PC with a shitty 4 pin firewire connecter
    *cough* shittiest peice of technology ever invented *cough*
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Kaon View Post
    *cough* shittiest peice of technology ever invented *cough*
    agreed, mine broke soooo easily and I was just shifting equipment around.

it just sounds like you're having power issues, iirc firebox without power supply + macbook is a map to disaster. Just plug the damned thing in and it should be fine, I found mine to be the most reliable interface I've used to date.

...so i pulled the power adapter out of the back of my Vestax mixer and tried it in the Firebox. Wrong voltage, DC not AC, 500ma not 1000ma and it worked .
    The blue light of loveliness came on and all is good.
    So it seems like the adapter is buggered which is great cus that cost naff all to replace unlike the Firebox.

I still cant understand why anyone could have problems with the actual Firebox. It has been ultra reliable. The adapter ? well after 3 years of wrapping the cable around the adapter and dropping in the bag im not surprised its finally broke.

Long Live The Presonus Firebox.

The UK Stockist for Presonus Spares charges £42:18 (inc vat and delivery) just for a 12volt power supply.

That is scandalous. I just tried another power adapter (the one for my VCI) and that jumpstarted the Firebox as well.

I can get 3 of the same adapter from my local electronics store for less than one from Presonus. Keep one at home and use one and take a spare to my gigs.

Gets me mad when people take the piss with items they know you need.

[rant/]

Tech Wizard

Hi,

I had a problem with my firebox, the red light was on with an intermittant flash of blue light. It appears i plugged the firewire in upside down. It was out of warranty and cost me 100 quid to fix... so you got off lightly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast