Pioneer DDJ T1 vs Traktor Kontrol S4
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Pioneer DDJ T1 vs Traktor Kontrol S4

I know this topic has been created at least one time before, but it didn't contain the information that I was looking for.

I've been simply laptop DJing for about 2 and a half years using JUST Deckadance simply because I could never afford any controllers and I couldn't find any controller (or set of controllers) that worked well with Deckadance and that I personally liked. However, about 3 months ago I decided to buy the DJ Tech 101 Series controllers because they seemed to be what I wanted for Deckadance. I quickly discovered that was a bad choice.

Currently, I'm using the still DJ Tech 101 Series controllers (sad, I know). But I have downloaded the mappings for them so I can use Traktor Pro 2. So far, Traktor is much much better in just about every single manor. Obviously, controllers designed for Deckadance are very limited when using them for Traktor, so I decided to do much searching for a single controller for Traktor NOT set of controllers because I'm very mobile and I'm kind of tired of carrying 4 boxes everywhere.

I have found that I really look for these things in controllers:
    FULL control of Traktors effects
    Jog wheel effect mapping
    Spacious knobs
    "Slip Mode" (I understand that Traktors beatmashing effect is similar to slip)
    4 deck control
    Hot Cues
    Built in sound card
    Monitor out
    and bright lights/vivid displays are always nice

Throughout my searching I found that I really like the layout of the Pioneer DDJ T1, but I also like the performance of the Kontrol S4 slightly more than the DDJ T1.

Which do you recommend?

A big reason why I like the S4 is because of the job wheel effect capability, I'm not sure if you can do that on the T1. However, I really like the size and structure of the T1, especially the ability to slide a laptop under the middle. The T1 also appears to have brighter buttons and the jog wheels just look plain cool and it's very helpful to be able to glance at your controller and see which decks are playing.

If you have any other suggestions for a single controller, please post those too!

Also, I wouldn't mind buying external effects units such as the Kontrol X1 or a Midi Fighter, so if you recommend a combination of those I'd love to hear it.

If I was unclear or scatter brained anywhere, just ask. Thanks! Any feedback will help a LOT.

Tech Mentor

Some quick points:

No controller has "full" control of Traktor effects, since they all seem to be content with two sets of FX controls, where you get 4 FX units in Traktor. You'll need to do some creative mapping.

Jog wheel FX mapping can be cool, but it has its problems in Traktor. You can't currently have HID jogs with jog FX with any controller - it's either precise jogs or custom maps, not both. You should be able to map jogs to FX with the Pioneer, since AFAIK it doesn't have HID jogs.

There is no Slip Mode in any Traktor controller, since Slip isn't supported by Traktor. Beatmasher isn't really the same thing.

What do you mean by monitor out? If you need a second set of master outputs with separately adjustable volume (booth out), neither the Pioneer of the S4 have one.

I suggest you also take a look at the Numark 4Trak.

S4 doesnt have volume controlled booth out, but it has 2 master outs that you can use as a booth (obv without independent volume control).
    brainfried - http://soundcloud.com/brainfried - http://www.facebook.com/DJbrainfried
    Kontrol S4 - Audio 2 - MidiFighter Classic - Akai MPD26 - Torq Xponent (retired)

I say try and find a way to mess around with both and see which you like more. I have an S4 and my friend has a T1 and both are good, they just have different work flows involved and have different atmospheres
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DJQA View Post
    Some quick points:

No controller has "full" control of Traktor effects, since they all seem to be content with two sets of FX controls, where you get 4 FX units in Traktor. You'll need to do some creative mapping.
    Yeah i'm aware of this, which is a reason I looked into the T1 in the first place. I just like the style of being able to control the wet/dry of an entire effect with a very comfortable control surface such as a jog wheel. Not necessarily one as big as the T1s, but even just the S4s small ones I really like.

There is no Slip Mode in any Traktor controller, since Slip isn't supported by Traktor. Beatmasher isn't really the same thing.
    Yeah I know, I meant I can use the beatmasher as a loop while the song continues to play, like if slip mode were activated or like "leap" in deckadance.

What do you mean by monitor out? If you need a second set of master outputs with separately adjustable volume (booth out), neither the Pioneer of the S4 have one.
    By monitor out, I do mean a set of outs with independent volume control, and I didn't think that the T1 or S4 had it. And yes, booth out. I just said monitor out because that's just what i'm used to saying when i'm talking about booth speakers. Currently I just have the booth speakers running out of a completely separate amp so that I can control the volume, but it's a bit of a pain and would be lovely to have booth out built right in.

I suggest you also take a look at the Numark 4Trak.
    I have looked at that, I feel like I've looked at everything. That is quite a spiffy controller.

Quote Originally Posted by brainfried View Post
    S4 doesnt have volume controlled booth out, but it has 2 master outs that you can use as a booth (obv without independent volume control).
    Yeah I thought so, I'm looking for independent volume control specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by Otacon View Post
    I say try and find a way to mess around with both and see which you like more. I have an S4 and my friend has a T1 and both are good, they just have different work flows involved and have different atmospheres
    I wish I could just buy one, try it, return it, buy the other, try it, return it, then buy the one I like more again. However I'm still on quite the budget and whatever I buy I'll likely have to stick with for a bit.

I'm not staying strict to deciding between the T1 or S4, those are just the two that I found fit my needs the best and work well with Traktor. If it comes down to it I could just buy a relatively chip mixer and buy a X1 or two for effects and such, I'm mainly looking for as close to total control of Traktor I can get with any combination of effects module, controller, or mixers.

Quote Originally Posted by Endure View Post
    Yeah i'm aware of this, which is a reason I looked into the T1 in the first place. I just like the style of being able to control the wet/dry of an entire effect with a very comfortable control surface such as a jog wheel. Not necessarily one as big as the T1s, but even just the S4s small ones I really like.

Yeah I know, I meant I can use the beatmasher as a loop while the song continues to play, like if slip mode were activated or like "leap" in deckadance.

By monitor out, I do mean a set of outs with independent volume control, and I didn't think that the T1 or S4 had it. And yes, booth out. I just said monitor out because that's just what i'm used to saying when i'm talking about booth speakers. Currently I just have the booth speakers running out of a completely separate amp so that I can control the volume, but it's a bit of a pain and would be lovely to have booth out built right in.

I have looked at that, I feel like I've looked at everything. That is quite a spiffy controller.

Yeah I thought so, I'm looking for independent volume control specifically.

I wish I could just buy one, try it, return it, buy the other, try it, return it, then buy the one I like more again. However I'm still on quite the budget and whatever I buy I'll likely have to stick with for a bit.

I'm not staying strict to deciding between the T1 or S4, those are just the two that I found fit my needs the best and work well with Traktor. If it comes down to it I could just buy a relatively chip mixer and buy a X1 or two for effects and such, I'm mainly looking for as close to total control of Traktor I can get with any combination of effects module, controller, or mixers.
    If you have a Guitar Center near you they usually have an S4 unit on display that's hooked up for you to mess around with.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Quote Originally Posted by brainfried View Post
    Noob question - what does this mean? I know the S4 doesn't have a controlled booth out and some other controllers do, but what does that mean exactly?

A booth out is a seperate output that you can send to speakers in your dj booth, this enables you to have different sound levels for the dance floor and your monitoring speakers... Booth outs are redundant for any club dj's as you would never connect a controllers soundcard directly to the pa system, it will always be plugged into the house mixer that will have booth outs anyway... If you're a mobile dj running a large rig it is necessary however, for a small party you don't really need it.

On topic... The DDJ-T1 is a terrible controller, if feels horrible to use, the jogs are pressure sensitive and have loud ball barings in them. Faders are tight to move, knobs are tighter skinny plastic things... All around an epic fail on pioneers part...
    Last edited by synthet1c; 04-11-2012 at 07:19 PM.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Are a lot of djs in a "booth"? Or is that not a literal term =/

huh ....um yeah there known as booths
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast