I need serious help

Default I need serious help

I am trying to isolate vocals from a song. I was able to get the vocals isolated quite well for the most part, but i have that damn half time snare in there and i want to kill it...

I tried Eq'ing it out but was only able to get so much. i tried cheating it and sampling the snare making some sort of percussive element out of it, but still that only did so much.

Do you guys have any pointers or tips on how i can proceed? here is a demo of part of the song.

Tech Mentor

If there are other elements in the same frequency range as the vocals there's little you can do...

You could try this: http://www.quikquak.com/Prod_MashTactic.html

It allows you to not only select a frequency bans as when EQing but also isolate a certain stereo position. But as snares as well as vocals are typically panned in the center, this might be of little help here...

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post
    If there are other elements in the same frequency range as the vocals there's little you can do...

You could try this: http://www.quikquak.com/Prod_MashTactic.html

It allows you to not only select a frequency bans as when EQing but also isolate a certain stereo position. But as snares as well as vocals are typically panned in the center, this might be of little help here...
    thanks. well if i can at least lower the sound just a tad that will be fine.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

i solved my issue and here is what i did, incase anyone else runs into this problem...

I extracted vocals from a song i wanted to remix. the drums to the original song were running in half time. so i had a snare playing every 3rd beat i wanted to eliminate.

here is the problem...

I have my vocals in a group track with master effects, so i added a compressor to the vocal track rather then the group...
    i created a new sidechain track, but i only had the kick playing every 3rd beat. and i sidechained the compressor to it. i was able to eliminate the snare with minimal damage to the vocals and i am able to work with the threshold to mix as desired.

and here is the solution

Last edited by calgarc; 11-06-2012 at 07:51 PM.

and here is the final result

Damn, that's clever how you fixed it! Nice job!

Idk if that's the same sound you were talking about, at around 2:11 it comes in, its like a hitting on a metal pan kind of a snare maybe? Sounds great until that part, and even that part is off beat (maybe thats why you said earlier every 3rd beat) and sounds really awkward.
    Last edited by Coldfuzion; 11-10-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    Damn, that's clever how you fixed it! Nice job!

Idk if that's the same sound you were talking about, at around 2:11 it comes in, its like a hitting on a metal pan kind of a snare maybe? Sounds great until that part, and even that part is off beat (maybe thats why you said earlier every 3rd beat) and sounds really awkward.

i had sampled the snare and sidechained for effect... it helped mask the 3rd beat snare... and added character to the mix

If u could find a clean snare from that track u could try phasing the snare out of the track... U could layer that clean snare and invert its phase and in theory the two snares should cancel each other out. But in reality a combination of what u did and this should work best. Idk, something to consider.